Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best free AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

forumit

MIS
Jul 9, 2009
ZA
Which is the best free anti virus software to use with Windows 7? I dont want any trial software.Most of my older AV products wont install on Windows 7.

1. Microsoft Security Essentials.
2. AVG

I don't rate any others in the FREE bracket.

Regards: Terry

Hi

I love AVG I have used it for years and have never had a problem with it.

I have it running right now on my new FNW Windows 7 64bit computer and it is working great.

Everyone else I know uses it too.

Also install and run Malwarebytes.
You will have to run and update the free version manually but it does the job and doesn't slow your computer down.

Mike

I'll add another vote for AVG from Grisoft. Look for the free version from downloads.com (its a CNET site so its trustworthy).

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

While I like the two already mentioned above, you can also look at Avira and Avast which also have several fans.

Whatever you choose strengthen your prevention with this free version.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Consider disabling Windows Defender if your selected Anti Virus has a spyware realtime scanner, Microsoft Security Essentials will do it automatically for you, the others may not.

I use Avast, it is simple to use. A bigger reason is my brother in law works for a database security company. Thats what they use for their systems.

Avast gets my vote as it doesn't hog the system as much as the current AVG (my previous favorite) does.

Was a long time (5 years or so) AVG user with no infections (I'm talking computer here) so that gets my vote... as does AVAST, moved to that after fancying a change and have had no issues with it either (2 years or so with that one).

Particularly like the latter as it 'vocally' tells you the updates have been applied (you can turn it off[smile])... great for my customers who were paranoid about being covered properly by their anti-virus.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

I used AVG for some time too, but when I got a Netbook (which being a low-power device is particularly sensitive to overheads), I found that Microsoft Security Essentials was an improvement.

However, I still recommend AVG as well as MSE.

I think any of the above are okay. Here's what I usually tell people who ask:

Avira Antivir offers the best protection, period (though none are perfect).

Microsoft Security Essentials offers some of the best, but I don't think as good as Avira, protection. However, MSE is also the easiest to use of any AV product I've ever seen. You practically will not know it's there unless it finds a problem, or occasionally it may tell you that you need to let it run a scan or update, if it didn't happen automatically for some strange reason.

AVG and Avast! are okay, but like others, I started noticing too much resource usage from AVG of late, and it didn't seem to catch as many baddies as Avira or even MSE.

Avast, from the little bit of time I've tried it (been at least 2 or 3 years ago, if I remember correctly), focuses too much on more of a kiddie-type look, I guess you could call it, rather than protecting your system. Still, not BAD, just not as good as the other 3, in my opinion..

So, if I rated them from #1 to #4, it'd be:
1. Avira Antivir
2. Microsoft Security Essentials (I'd move it to #1 for someone who is clueless about computers)
3. AVG
4. Avast!

But really, I suppose any of those will do pretty well enough. And if you throw in these for protection:
1. Firewall - Comodo Internet Security (#1) or Online Armor for 32 bit systems
2. Malwarebytes Antimalware for scanning
3. SpywareBlaster for protection - innoculation
4. SuperAntiSpyware for some protection and scanning

Run as a "limited" user, or "user level" account in Windows if you can make yourself do it, then just use an admin-level account (password protected) when necessary for installing/uninstalling. I've done this on a couple of computers at home with no issues, but I've not forced myself to do it on the other 2 systems running Windows - yet. The time will come, though, the time will come. [smile]

Make sure whatever browser you are running is up to date, and make sure Windows is up to date. If you use MS Office, then make sure it stays up to date, at least for security updates. And for any other application you use a lot... for instance, Flash and Adobe Reader - I'd make those top priorities for keeping up to date as well. Java is yet another. Basically anything that could open your system to threats from the WWW.

Also, if you don't already have a router, then get one. If you don't use some sort of router-based firewall, then eventually all the software fixes will let something through. If you use a router, than much of the threats will be held at bay before even seeing your machine(s). Of course, if you have more than one computer connected to the Internet, more than likely you have a router already. [wink]

Now that I've semi - gone off into the weeds, I'll say ado.
[wavey3]

Which of these products can you manually download the virus definition files and install at a later stage? No automatic online updating.

I'd imagine just about any/all of them, forumit. The only one I would think you may not be able to do that with would be Microsoft Security Essentials. I KNOW you can do with AVG, as I've done that with a Linux install of AVG a few years ago.

MSE is now updated through the Microsoft Update utility as with Windows and Office products. So if you set Windows Update to notify only, you shouldn't get bothered with an unexpected update.

Microsoft usually update the virus definition at least twice a day and sometimes three times a day. But you can either manually update when it is convenient or leave it to Windows Update to do the work.

MSE didn't properly get it's update behind my proxy server, though Windows Updates has worked flawless for years, and still does on the same (VMware) image. So I had to get the manual MSE updates (choice of 32 and 64 bit versions).
Became bored downloading that manually a few times a week, so I upgraded to Avast that does the updates from behind the proxy as it should (but have to set it manually).

I use Avast and have for years with a good sense of security.
I guess the big issue is how you surf the web and whether you are going to sites that may comprimise your computer.

The best AV I know of is common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back