Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEST FIT - ALGORITHM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamWhitehouse

Programmer
Aug 7, 2000
GB
I am programming a machine that has to cut variable lengths from roll's of material, my program has got to calculate the best fit from these roll's, ie: The rolls of material are 6.2M long and an order for

5 * 2.4M
7 * 1.2M
3 * 1.86M

I need to calculate the best way to cut these from the rolls with the minimum of waste, the order can be of any quantity of cuts and lengths, not sure where to start can any one give me a pointer?

I notice that although you have visited Tek-Tips for 8 years and asked 17 questions, you have not marked any of your answers as helpful/valuable, and have only responded to one question other than your own. If you have been receiving unsatisfactory answers I suggest you read faq222-2244 to see how to get better answers. If you have had satisfactory answers then read faq222-2244 to see how to acknowledge them properly. The FAQ will also help you understand that this is a forum, not a helpdesk, and that some reciprocal answers are expected.

For this question (which is a standard Computing 101 problem) Google is your friend. Have a look at for a simple example.

Steam Engine Prints

Hi johnwm, thank you for your thread it linked to just what I was looking for, I appologise if it appears that I have not responded to previous replies, I thought I had always left an acknowledgement post to any one who had spared the time to reply to any of my questions all of which were appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back