Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Database for VB 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZEason

Programmer
Dec 11, 2000
US
I'm writing a stand alone app for a cd product. I need to get some ideas for everyone. This app will be a standard exe file with a db connection. I can not use MS Access for 2 reasons. First, the data is to big, second is this is and Enterprise packet. I have been looking at FoxPro but it does not seem to be as friendly as VB. What other DB's can I use??? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I think in this case, probably the best is using a DBF Database. It's a very singular database for stand-alone job's. you only need to do the connection string to that database and you are on...
the best non comercial database in market at this time.
it's similar to the MS access, but more efective, fast and reliable.
try it.

The data is less than 2 gigs, closer to .8 gigs. MS Access can not handle this, it corrupts to easly. I have had some problems in the past. I did not know MySQL can be used in Apps on a CD. What I think sounds good is MSDE. Where can I find more info on this. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You can use the ADO objects to connect to a MySQL database, and I have not experience any difficulties with it. As far as a Database Admin tool, MySQL-Front does very well. It is also free and can found downloaded form
I have run into some difficulties with DBF, specifically with respect to index handling. I was unable to create an index using ADOX with the FoxPro driver. Although, I have not spent a great deal of time working with it, so someone else may be able to provide more help in that area. When I must deal with DBF files, I usually write the code in FoxPro.

If I had to make a choice between using MySQL and DBF, then I would choose MySQL. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

CajunCenturion[/b: Now I'm interested. I'm going to give it a try as soon as I get some free time....

hi Stongm,

Sorry for the delay in justifying my answer...I've been working out of the office and it seems things have moved on since my last post.

Jet is a very versatile tool. It is established, a decent stab at a relational database. It does have several drawbacks again mostly mentioned already,

As a programmer I am fairly tied to M$ products (better or worse) so my experience on say Oracle is limited (very)

The original post stated standalone, which i missed as an important point. Jet is a realistic choice. It is not the only one.

If I have not made myself sufficiently clear:
Jet is a good choice for a single user standalone DB too. It is not the only one.
I think CCLINT said it better: but use the tool that suits the job!

Hope that justifies my position

Matt

Can you convert an access database to a MYSQL database? If So:
How easily? What code changes will need to be made if your VB code in already linking to the access DB?

CCLINT:Interesting. I guess I missed something. What does it cost? Can I distribute/sell my app with it?

Before I made my first post, the originator of this thread qualified a stand alone DB as one not needing a server. I pointed out that Oracle can be used as a stand alone DB. You said it couldn't. I reiterated that it could.

Then I get a cheap shot from you. I don't know what your problem is and I don't really care. I'll just assume you're having a bad day and leave it at that. Obviously, your questions are rhetorical, so I'll give them the consideration they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back