Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

astech

Programmer
Jul 25, 2000
ID
where is the best/fast connection on client server.
1. I put the exe file on ws and data on server.
2. I put the exe and data on server.

The fastest execution will occur if data and temporary files exist on the local machine.

You may find theis recent thread helpful thread184-707522

Brian

Well, of the 2 options you have given us ... I would suggest number 1. The more things you can have locally the better.

Don

Mike,

That is not necessarily the case. YOu can have the EXE on the server only as a repository, and have a startup application check the version to see if it is newer than the workstation version, and if so, download it before running it. The server EXE is never run. We do that where I work, and many others do as well.

Dana

Dana,

YOu can have the EXE on the server only as a repository, and have a startup application check the version to see if it is newer than the workstation version, and if so, download it before running it.

True. But I still say it easier to run the EXE from a server.

Mike

Mike Lewis
Edinburgh, Scotland

Dana:

This is getting off on a little tangent ... But ...

I do something similar to what you describe and a problem area is always when the latest (newest) EXE modifies the file structures during its initial execution.

There is a lot of machinery that needs to be in place to insure that no users are in the system during this process.

I am just curious as to how you deal with that ?

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back