Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Configuration for 4 Drives? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glowball

Programmer
Oct 6, 2001
US
Hi all, please excuse what is probably a very basic and easy question. I have two 1TB drives in a RAID1 right now and I just picked up two 2TB drives. I'd like to keep a mirror in there somewhere and use all four drives. I'm planning on formatting and resinstalling everything so I can set these up however I want. How would you suggest I use the drives? Thanks!

Ok - three configs come to mind:

Two RAID 1 array - one with 1TB drives and one with the 2TB drives.

RAID 5 (three drives) + a hot spare. Not very efficient because you will lose 1TB off each of the 2TB drives

One RAID 0 array (1TB drives) for O.S. and one RAID 1 array (2TB drivs) for data storage. most efficiency and most performance you can get.

Thanks for your answer! If I do the last one you mentioned then I'll have 2TB for Windows 7 and 2TB for data, right? Does Windows 7 need that much room? I was thinking about doing your first suggestion and putting Windows 7 on the 1TB mirror because I didn't think it would ever need even that much room.

Is there some way to do a mirror that gives me 3TB all on one "drive" so they're all together? I'm not sure if that's possible.

That's correct that in RAID 0 the two disks are added together in terms of available space.

I would probably do the first option because it gives your system more reliability.

You could also do the RAID 1 for data (2TB), install Windows 7 on a single (non-raid) drive and use the other 1TB drive to put an image backup on (Acronis, Ghost, etc.).

Lots of possibilities.

Thanks! I'll do the first one on your suggestion, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back