Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Backup Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

raulgomez

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2004
US
Could somebody recommend me a good software package to create backups under Windows server 2003 and integrates very well with Microsoft Exchange ?

I am using the demo version for Veritas Backup Exec and it's not working properly. Besides, I have heard bad comments about Veritas latest release.

Raul Gomez.

I work with BE since XX years. I think, it's one of the better products in the market! Yes of course, BE has problems, but also ArcServe or HP has problems...

The interesting thing will be to test the new version of BE, version 10. It will be release at Q1 from 2005.

usually when something doesn't work the software is the first to blame..

C'man boys

I have used Backup Exec for years and no complains. I just Installed the new release to test it and It hangs while selecting the Mailboxes from Exchange 2003.

I researched and it's a problem with the software. I was surprise I had to apply one service pack and two patches to solve the problem.

Logically, since I am testing the software, I have now doubts about this release.

But thanks anyway for your help.

Raul.

Justin:

The hotfixes fixed the problem, but it was amazing that I had to reboot the server 3 times to make it work.

1st Time: Service Job Engine did not stop. I had to reboot the server to stop it. Applying SP1 was unsuccessful.

2nd Time: After 1st reboot, Backup services were stopped manually and Installation of SP1 was successful. SP1 required reboot.

3rd Time: Installation of Path for Microsoft Agent was successful and required reboot.

There are other patches that I haven't applied yet. Everytime I need to apply a path I have to reboot the server. This concerns me a lot, cause I am working with a production environment, and I can only reboot late in the night.

Raul

SP1 doesn't require a reboot - even though it tells you - actually not many of the hotfixes require a reboot after they are installed - the exceptions, would be any of them that update vsp.sys, or any device tape drivers.

I have found with 9.x that it's best to stop the services before applying any hotfix.

Ever thought of running a dedicated backup server so that if you do need to reboot it, it won't be an issue?

Rebooting after applying a hotfix is not a Veritas problem, more a nice little "feature" of using Windows - 2003 has been a bit better, but still requires a reboot for more updates.

I've been using Veritas for a few years, and i'd have to say that, really, the software is crap. But, it is a HECK of a lot better than ARCServer or some of the other no-name programs we've seen out there.

The one thing to look out for is the massive engine re-write they did going from version 8.X to 9.X. I used 8.6 for it's life cycle with relatively few problems. We then upgraded to 9.0/9.1 and went for about a month with no useable backups while we tried to troubleshoot the new issues. Consequently, we've gone back to version 8.6.

It depends what you really need it for. we needed 8.6 because we couldn't do brick-level email backups without it, but 9.1 did seem to work a little better with the Open File Option. Try and get a demo copy of 8.6, and see if that maybe solves some of the problems. . .

- alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back