Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best approach dbowner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdh

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
GB
I have a database which is to be replicated,
I connect to this db from ASP using integrated security (therefore have IUSR_etc for each machine as logins)

Currently the dbowner is sa is this my best approach as this user should be on all replicated machines?

Thanks for any advice

SDH

It really shouldn't matter. (Althought I haven't tested this, all the databases on all my servers are owned by a sysadmin login).

What should matter is that all the servers can connect to each other, and that you have given permission for the server to paticipate in replication. Replication is driven by stored procs and permissions are not dependent on who owns a db, more .. is this a valid server to replicate to.. (So replication is controlled at the server level and has no real relation to the database owner)

It is more than possible to have data in one database replicated to a completely different database on the same or a different server.

(Actually having two versions of the same db on the same server can be a very good way to seperate oltp and olap in the same server.. Completely differernt index structures can exist on each database to support the use of the data)

Hopefully this makes sence..

Rob

Thanks for the advice Rob

I haven't changed the owners but get a Sa login error when I try to run one storedproc so guess i have a permissions issue somewhere.

Can i reset permissions once replicated I am new to replication?

When you say you are having a permission issue, is this from a storedproc in the replicated db, or from the replication process?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back