Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best antivirus ???? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshs328

Programmer
Feb 28, 2002
US
I am looking at Norton and I heard alot of bad stuff about Norton-boogs up ur system-unstable. and I really didnt hear to much bad stuff about McAfee but I was wondering what u ppl think is the best outta the 2. Norton is about $10 or so more than McAfee so that had me thinking about "u get what u pay for" im just unsure which is the best and if u have any other suggestions thats good or any other past experiences to b/c I only really heard of the Norton and McAfee so I know there is alot more out there but how good are they

Thanks
Joshs328

I use Norton and am very pleased with it. I have yet to run into trouble with it... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I would suggest removing any Norton associated file and installing McAfee. Trust me on this one.

Well I would *strongly* disagree with that. In my opinion Mcafee is the worst av program ever written. I suggest you never install it.

I use Norton and it works well for me and they have good tech support. But which av program is the best? Well that depends on who you talk to. One's I would recommend are Pc-cillin, Norton, or Kapersky and i've heard some good things about EZ Trust the pay version of InoculateIT. Take your pick. But I suggest you stay away from Mcafee at all costs. I cruise alot of pc help boards and have seen countless pc's screwed by Mcafee. However, you may never experience the problems other people run into with certain av programs. You just have to try one and see how it works for you. Whichever one you choose just make sure you keep the virus definitions up to date or else it's pretty much a useless program.

I use Norton and whenever there is a virus or a maliciuos script on a page, it halts my system. Quite happy with it.

Also you can use That's pretty good too.

Hope this helps!
colorado.gif

"Quest for the Cup - 2002!"
"Onto the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round!"

If you're interested in Pc-cillin here's who makes it:

I forgot to mention that Norton, Pc-cillin and EZ Trust all require that you pay a yearly fee for virus definitions in case you don't know. I'm not sure about Kapersky and Mcafee but it's probably the same with them. Lots of av makers are now charging a fee for definitions.

If you don't want to pay for either definitions or the antivirus program itself you could try AVG which is free. Lots like it but i've seen av tests that don't rate it well.

thanks guy ill check out those new ones u said about and I didnt know that u have to pay for the definations for those av software I thought that was free to do that I heard of PC-Cillin and I dont know much about that ill have to look into that one futher

Thanks
Joshs328

PC-cillan is the best I have seen so far. Norton's second and MCafee a distant last.

You will never get a definative answer to that question if you live to be 100 maybe because they are running in different environments by different types of users.

Try the best known and make your own decision.

Much luck

Thanks I was lookin at PC-Cillin and that looks pretty good I'm either gonna try that or Norton and if I have enough money im gonna try another 1 on another of my systems

Thanks
Joshs328

I personally use f-protect because I'll take the risk of not having an active virus scan while in return ensuring that nothing non-essential is running in the background possibly causing troubles.

I actually have had some viruses (2 in like 5 years...), and F-Protect cleared them out of my harddrive. The best part about this program is, you can boot from a floppy and fun the program, which ensures that no viruses are in memory when scanning.

kento,

"I forgot to mention that Norton, Pc-cillin and EZ Trust all require that you pay a yearly fee for virus definitions in case you don't know"

Yes that is true however, Norton has over-seen a way around this. If you already have a subscription and then it runs out, all you have to do to keep getting LiveUpdate Antivirus Definitions is change your computers' date back one year, and it will screw the program up and will allow you to get free updates for another year. LOL

Hope this helps!
colorado.gif

"Quest for the Cup - 2002!"
"Onto the 2[sup]nd[/sup] round!"

I have been using EZ Trust for about two years and have never been infected,the program has not allowed a few files to be downloaded because they were infected or had suspect script.I had tried an used both mcafee and norton previously and had many bad system problems related to both of them.

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://discussions.virtualdr.com/Forum[/URL] 2/HTML/057667.html

editor note: cut/paste this URL into your browser and take the space out between the "forum" and the number "2" in the middle.

wow thanks I found out alot thanks guys I checked out that site jmatt and that helped alot I can't belive that McAfee is on there as a top 3 but he did say about system troubles thanks thats some nice info. I think im gonna try Pc-Cillin Thanks alot

Thanks
Joshs328

Just to add to the fray, I also use e-trust, (was InoculateIt) and find it excellent. It has caught several viruses, and the best thing is, I aquired an old HDD whose previous owner ran Mcafee and kept it updated - so they said. When I ran a scan for interest's sake, I found a total of 8 infections, 3 of which were trojans, the rest viruses.
Possibly of major importance in the choice would be the number and frequency of virus signature updates available. I find an update is available for mine almost every day. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

I'm very happy with AVG and it's free. I trust my confidence and sense of security are not misfounded!?

BB

I to use AVG in conjunction with these .

( freeware )
StartPage Guard (SPG) protects your PC from cyberscam, by monitoring status of your internet browser StartPage and preventing it from any unauthorized changes.
------------------------------------
Script Sentry ( freeware )

This is how I have Script Sentry configured .
It can be done during Install or by going to ,
Windows Explorer > Programs > Script Sentry .
Double click on the 4th Entry , ScriptSentry , which is the .exe file .
This opens it up , select , File > Configure .
General : Tick the 1st 4 items .
Click on > Set to Recommended .
Click OK .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back