Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsilveira

MIS
Feb 7, 2005
CA
Hi all,

I wanted to know your thoughts on which antivirus would you recommend?

I'm currently running the AVG free edition... I do not like Norton simply becuase of the amount of ressources they require compared to others... I have heard Panda is a good choice, any thoughts or comments?

Thanks for the help & advice,
jsilveira

I have been using Panda Titanium and Platinum on all my home computers for the past two years. I am very pleased at Panda's ability to catch, block, and remove virus pests.

At work, we have installed Panda's server version on all the servers, and they in turn push a Panda client down to the individule PC's in our network. We have not had one
trojun or virus make it thru Panda in two years.

Panda does consume PC resources more than I would like, but it's a small price to pay for protection in my mind.

papa4

PC-cillin and BitDefender are my top two choices, in that order. I would have to say AVG is the best free AV software but I don't use it because I don't think it's as good as PC-cillin at thoroughly protecting a computer.

McAfee is good but it takes a while to get used to the interface and all the features it has. I just find it's too busy and over complicated though for the typical PC user. But for computer geeks it's a great product, all the bells and whistles you could want.

On a computer at Home, anything other than Norton or McAfee, would be a good choice. The two mentioned are similar to using a crane to pick up a pebble.

For speed and low resource use, I recommend NOD32 from Eset.

NOD32 is the best antivirus on the market if you are willing to pay for it. Avast! as a free alternative is far better than AVG in my experience.

Pandasoftware.com antivirus. I use this are work and at home it also stops spyware and spam.

I'll throw in my pitch for Norman. I've used it for several years without any problems whatsoever. I have no customer complaints with it, either. It's also unobtrusive and simple to use.
My experiences with free antivirus programs on customer computers tells me one gets what one pays for.

I personally prefer F-prot but I never rely on one alone. Anyways heres the link for it.

However be advised the demo version itself does suck for it does not allow you to scan all files nor disinfect or delete them. Thats the bad part about the demo but the regular version I like the best. However everyone has there own opinions and choices lol.

AVG free does the job for me - and often finds viruses on machines that have ben 'protected' by Norton. Would totally agree with Linney's comment about Norton and McAfee.

I am an IT journalist and the mag I write for has done extensive test on a variety of Antivirus programs.
AVG Pro. came out tops, closely followed by their 'freebie' version.
I personally use the 'Free' version as it more than does the job.
The worst programs in our test were those by Norton and McAfee, both which charge you an arm and a leg for not very much. I personally recommend 'AVG' everytime.

nav 10 corporate edition definitely the best, takes up allmost no resources, totally reliable.

I use AVG Free edition, but back it up with a firewall and several Spyware scanners, its a jungle out there!
You might get some more detailed info on AV solutions from this Tek_Tips forum..
forum760

[red]Support the GNBM You know it makes sense[/red] More on this at forum1091
Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

I personally use Kaspersky and am very happy with it. Very regular updates, scans all emails, downloads etc. etc. Very good at detecting and deleting files.

Costs about $49 (about £30).

I use AVG at home, and Norton Cooporate 10 at work. We roll out updates, we push out clients, we have never had a problem with it.

The people who work here (my customers!) only use their computers as workstations. My servers are the machines doing all the work... A 'labor intensive' program like NAV isnt going to impact the users at all; they never notice longer loading times or anything. Labor intensive on a newish PC is pretty much nothing anyway... I rarely see a computer using more than 3% of it's CPU, and 20% of its memory.

ill throw in "sophos" all types home/corperate editions!!

The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back