Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Anti-Virus Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GISD

MIS
May 22, 2003
US
Which software offers the best virus protection (and e-mail blocker etc...) for Groupwise? I know of 2 so far Im checking out: GWAVA and Guardian. If Norton makes something for Gwise I would like to use that instead though. Any suggestions or comments about the software any of you use? (problems encountered etc...) Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best anti virus?
[smartass answer]
Remove all floppy drives and CDROM's from all computers.
Make hard drive access read only.
Do not use any email whats so ever
[/smartass answer]
[cannon][pc3]

I like the Norton package. They don't directly make anything for GroupWise it's self, but they do have the SMTP gateway that can block most if not all email viruses. So far with the enterprise package I have been able to avoid the recent outbreaks. In many cases, when the virus get through before the autoupdate gets a new sig file, only a single system will get hit. Then later on clean it's self when the System Center updates the sig on the client.

I use GWAVA and Norton...I think Norton is the best thing goin' these days....

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

We are presently looking into replacing Guinivere as our Gateway Ant-Virus software. We have used it for over 2.5 years and I must say it was worth every penny we paid for it ($500.00). But, times change and we need something a little stronger. We also have tested GWAVA, Guardian, Surf Control, etc.. The one we are currently testing is Gee Whiz. Funny name I know but it looks like it might be the next step for us. I am one of only two E-Mail Admins and we administer over 5K e-mail accounts. That leaves little time for a Spam/Anti-Virus solution that requires a lot of daily time. Have had Gee Whiz demo in for about 2 weeks, and it has significantly cut down the Spam. We are running the Sophos engine in conjunction with the Anti-Virus portion of Gee Wheez. I would say to give a look @ it. It might be right for you and it might not. The price is right though. Oh yea, it was written specifically for GroupWise and runs as an NLM on your GWIA server.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

In Regards to Gee-Whiz, in attempting to get it to work on my NetWork NW 4.11 SP9, GW 5.5 SP4, McAfee NetShield 4.61, I got nothing but about 15 seconds of run-time before Gee-Whiz would freeze up on me, even when only actually working on three or four accounts. I got no help from Gee-Whiz other than a few reccomendations about tweaking McAfee Settings.

From what I gather on their forums, Gee-Whiz has some pretty major problems with McAfee (or vice-versa) so if you have McAfee, Gee-Whiz may be hit or miss.

We use GWAVA 2.5 & McAfee 4.61 and it works beautifully. GWAVA has many other features like content & attachment blocking/filtering & spam heuristics that we don't use. Good product.

-Ron

We use GWAVA and Trend. No complaints here just praise.. works great for us.

We decided to go with Norton on the gateway but are still looking for a SPAM stopper. Thanks for all your input so far.

We use Mailsweeper ( on the gateway which is very effective at stopping viruses. It can be configured with most anti-virus products - we use F-Secure but others use Norton, Sophos etc. It can also be configured to stop spam via many different scenarios (blacklists, text analysis, banned addresses etc) - we currenty block about 5000 spam mails per day.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back