Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BES Server migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ouzojd

Programmer
Jun 9, 2002
AU

I am very new to the world of BES. Basically I know nothing about it so respond to me like I am a 3 yr old.

I need to move our BES server version 4 (we also use Exchange 2k3) from a windows 2000 server to to a windows 2003 server.

I have read all the articles on installing BES, backing up the db, moving the users etc but I am not clear on the exact process or order of doing things?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

PS: Everything is currently on the same server DB, Bes I need to movve the lot and decomission the 2000 server.

Thanks.

Hey,

Build you new 2003 server, install BES (Keep it offline, becuase you only have one key with RIM)

Move the users over, via the backup,

Take old BES ofline, bring the new one up and test it.

Brett.

I will be more detailed if neccessary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)

By the backup are the users stored in the config db? Also the BES user manual said I need a different version of MSDE (MSDE 2000) on 2k3 server, do you think that will give me any issues?

Cheers.

Hey,

Shouldn't, you'll have to make a copy of your backup before it is updated to the newer msde2000.

Brett

NSW, Australia

Cool, but the users are in the config db?

Hey,

From memory......

I'll see if I can find my Doco on it.

NSW, Australia

Also I spoke to telstra this morning and they said to give the new blackberry enterprise server the same name as the old one. I assume this is independent of windows server naming otherwise I cant do it because both servers are on the same domain I asked them and they said it was but I dont believe much of what Telstra tells me.

Cheers

If you have no policies, a fresh rebuild naming the server, the BES, nd using the same account is a very quick and easy solution.

just make sure you have all your serials and SRP numbers written down, and of course, know which users to add back to the new server....

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back