Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bert Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

galfaro

Vendor
Apr 9, 2003
US
Anyone have any info on what kind of problems you would have on a ext. if the voice path test fails?
Gabriel

That's an awesome question.

1. Remove 1 conductor to any Norstar phone ~ jack and perform the test.

2. Put in place a "known" bad and non-working Norstar phone and perform the test.

3. Cross-connect one conductor (any) to another Norstar DN port-single conductor while leaving the other two conductors (1-pair) connected to the proper Norstar DN and then run the Bert test.

4. Remove cross-connects to DN completely with no Norstar phone in place and perform the Bert test.

The older I get, the less I know

I have seen this test fail on stations where the user has had no complaints about the phone at all.

since there is no instructions in the Installers guide or the system coordinators guide I would treat this as possible problems in 3 areas. the output port on the ICS, the house cable, the telephone itself. you can test them by swapping out for unused ports/telephone or take a telephone to the equipment room and plug it in there and test again.

If voting could really change things, it would be illegal.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

it just means during the test, the bit error rate is more than 1 in 100,000 bits

mostly related to cabling, bridge tap, bad jack ...

a phone can work even when the BERT fails, a couple of bits lost, could mean some information didnt reach the phone.

if it is a bad port, the phone will not work

I had this happen right off the port. Tried different phones, still could not get it to pass. Original problem was that the phone would drop calls when put on hold. I had changed the phone to see if the problem would clear, it did not.
Since i couldn't duplicate the problem, i tried the Bert test and failed the voice
path test. I changed the port to get a good test, but i'll have to wait and see what happens.
Gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back