Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Berktek Armored Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

STF26

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
Does anyone have any experience / opinions of the Berktek Armored Fiber. I am doing a multimode project that would benefit from it and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

The plant has been known to have a few furry friends (rats) so I am thinking that it may be a good idea. Also, I would like to use armor to avoid using interduct.

Hmmm. I don't know if you've ever seen armored cable, the armor is more like a thick foil. It's ribbed usually... and I'd bet that a rat could get through that very easily. I know you said you didn't want to, but innerduct is a great thing. Although the O.D. if your run is obviously going to increase drastically, I'd still say that's a better bet. That being said, back to your original post.. I've used berktek armored cable before, and it's just like any other armored OSP rated cable. Works well, easy to bond to a grounding clamp, etc.

I think you'd be better off using innerduct, or depending on the length of your run -- EMT or flex could be a better idea.

I'd do both. Innerduct and armored cable. You can get it with aluminum or steel armor.

I'd also do both, the Interduct really is a good thing, if you ever need to pull another cable to the same location, it really is easier to pull with the duct there...

-Mike

My only concern would be the cable sheath. If it's armored, that means it's probably OSP rated, and not rated for indoor use, meaning it would have to be in conduit if it enters the building farther than 50 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back