Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BENTv8.6 does not allow exchange server selection. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dataffman

MIS
Aug 9, 2002
GB
I have installed Backup Exec v8.6 on my file server (NT4 sp6) and it works ok with my Ultrium drive. "Wonderful" I thought - now I shall add the Exchange agent, the remote agent onto my Exchange (5.5) server and MS Exchnage Admin utility onto the file server - just as it says to do in the Veritas manual.
Problem is - when browsing the backup selection in BE, it can SEE my Exchange server, recognises the remote agent is running on that server also, but the box to select the Exchange server is greyed-out.
I have tried reinstalling all aspects to BE from scratch but alas - no joy.

I suspect I am being dull. Can anyone shed any light on this for me, before I wreck my cubicle in frustration.
(Be nice - if I am being VERY stupid!!)

Many thanks in anticipation... ;-)

My servers are greyed too, but still I can access them.

The remote agent service runs on the remote server with the LOCAL SYSTEM account if not installed at the same time as BE. I changed the Remote Agent Service logon account to the same account the rest of my backup services run under, and it worked fine. Backup account must have rights for the Exchange server.

dataffman,

I ran into the exact same problem. Ended up contacting Veritas support. Here is the list of things they told me to do, and it worked great.

A) On Exchange server

1) Create one new Mailbox enabled user ( bkadmin )

2) Add "bkadmin" to Domain Admin & Local Administrator groups

3) Start Exchange Administrator utility and grant bkadmin user permissions on site object (Admin Role)

B ) (On Media Server)

1) Log on using bkadmin to exchange domain

2) Configure Outlook profile using Exchange service

3) Send Mail to some different user

4) From Exchange server, copy EDBBCLI.DLL file to \winnt\system32 (to the Backup Exec server)

(it is very essential that EDBBCLI.DLL file to be exactly the same version
on both the Exchange server and the BackupExec server)

5) Copy MAPI32.DLL from Program Files\common files\system\mapi\1033\nt to Veritas\Backup Exec\ NT

6) Stop all the Backup Exec services

7) Rename the bewinui.uni file to bewinui.old ( Path= Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\DATA )

8) Restart all the backup exec service

9) Start Backup Exec and select the mailboxes and provide connect info as bkadmin

10) Confirm that Exchange Administrator utility is installed and connecting to exchange server

Also make sure that you are running the most current Build which is Build 3878.
You can download it from here:

Hope this helps you out..
mot98
[pc]

"Every day I learn something new, and forget 10 things I learned long ago!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back