Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Benefits of VPN? OutLook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberNatas

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2001
US
What are the benefits of VPN? I have a 25 user network, VPN working successfully. My first thing is, I setup a user to connect from his cable modem at home, it connects successfully. Two issues. When he tries to access a network drive on his machine in the office, it asks who to connect, as, he puts in user/pass and it comes back asking again. I have the correct permissions setup on the machine in his office so he can access it. He can access it internally. The second is, I setup outlook for home, when he checks his mail on the exchange server, all the mail is retreived on the machine he's on. So if he comes into the office, the inbox and folders are empty, they are at home. Anyway around this?

Thanks

this is not my answer. I learned it here. Login with domain/user
password
this will let you see the drives.

It sounds like your users are setting up some sort of offline access, then all their email is being downloaded to a local PST file on their system. When I have my home users configure outlook, I have them use online access, so there's no confusion about synchronizing. It's either in Tools | Services or Tools | Options.

KG

How are you providing VPN service. Windows server or Hardware. You have to make sure all the ports for domain traffic are open. Do you use a firewall does you router do NAT? Does you VPN machine have a public or private IP? I can give you your answer if you fill me in. Microsoft has a ton of knowledge base articles on VPN issues.

For outlook you need to make sure they are working off the server not downloading mail. If you have exchange 2000 the automatically installed Web access works great you can setup this up on exchange 5.5 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back