Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

benefits Duplicated GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ79

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
SE
Hi,

could anyone sum the benefits for the use of a Duplicated Group Switch.
If possible by comparing it with the current situation.
At the moment we have 1 GS with 2 magazines. Each LIM has to GJUL's, 1 GJUL goes to mag0 the other to mag1.

Now we want to switch to a duplicated GS. And because of involved cost I have to sum the benefits.

2 options,

- both GS's only 1 magazine so each LIM will only have 1 GJUL with connection towards 2 GS's

- both GS's with 2 magazine's each LIM will have 2 GJUL's with conections towards the 2 GS's

Can anybody help me with this?

Hi TJ79

The question of duplicated GS is a question of security and not related to cost (depending of course of how much you want to paid for security).

First of all you must be aware that with a duplicated GS, the call goes throught the 2 GSSIDE at the same time. This implies that each GJUL board has a connection toward the 2 GSSIDEs, ie you have to change your GJUL/1 (one PCM link) to GJUL/2 (2 PCM link). Each PCM link of the GJLU/2 board is going to each GSSIDE of your duplicated GS.

Now regading the traffic inter LIM: is it enought to have only one GJUL/2? You have to know if you need more than 30 simltaneous calls between your LIMs. If the answer is yes, then you need 2 GJUL/2 boards (at least), and the result is that you have 4 PCM lines for your LIM, 2 going to GSSIDE 0 and 2 going to GSSIDE 1.
Despite you have 4 PCM line, you can only have 60 simltaneous calls, ie only 2 PCM line are active while the 2 other are spare for redundancy toward your duplicated GS.

You have alos to think about the PCM lines of your GJUL/2; the PCM line should via different ways to avoid any distrubance in the path between the LIM and the duplicated GS.

Best regards

Thanks for your reply!! It also reminded me that I forgot the change of the GJUL4/1 to GJUL4/2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back