Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Belkin Router (F5D6231-4) as an AP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjet

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2002
US
Hello,
I just bought a Belkin Router (F5D6231-4) at Frye's. It was on sale for 29.00 with a 20.00 rebate, so what the heck?
Plug it in, fire it up, and it works fine. Routes, DHCP, the whole thing.
Then I see a link in the interface that says you can use it as an Access Point only. I read the instructions (GASP) and it claims you just put a static IP in that is in your scheme and you are set. All works fine.
Until I want to set up MAC filtering and WAP. I can't get back into the router with the web interface using the static IP I assigned it or even the default 192.168.2.1 that is came out of the box with.
I have to do a hard reset, then set it up as a router again.

Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?
I really would like to just use this as an access point.

Thanks,
Jamie

Sorry, fat fingered the LAN IP of my laptop, should be 192.168.2.6.

All,

After reading the solution to my problems was simple.

I disabled DHCP in the Belkin router (I had previously disabled the firewall), moved the cable connecting the two routers from the Belkin's WAN port to a LAN port and refreshed all the network connections. Now all the pcs are networked and can see each other regardless of which router they are connected to and I can still signon to the Belkin router to change WiFi settings. The DHCP function is performed by the outer/non-Belkin router and the Belkin F5D6231-4 router at this point is basically a WiFi switch.

I am now a relieved happy camper.

Hopefully the above link or this posting helps all of you also. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back