Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Being tracked on the web while Surfing? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

trybry

Technical User
Jan 10, 2004
US

Hi,

I need a 101 class on how to surf the web without being tracked.

When I re-installed the system and surfed, I had few, if any firewall hits.
Now I am being Scanned and Pinged to death. It's TCP's, ICMP's, UDP's and Flag S's , Oh My!

Did I leave a trail on the web that people around the world can now find?
I am trying to patch the security leak, by blocking each address. This way is non-sense, since each assigned block has thousands of address combinations.

Is there a Web 101 site to fill me in on invisible surfing? Are there tricks to Cache and Cookie cleaning, that I'm missing? Why are these companies Pinging me? I am getting probed from all over the world. Sometimes I don't even surf page to page and still get probed.

Anyone has any tips or pointers on how to keep things quiet out there?

Thanks

If you're using the latest firewall version, its security setting is set to High, the attacks are being blocked, and your system is running ok, then relax.

Recommend that you be more concerned with viruses and spyware.

Ok, Thanks

I've set both to high!

Thanks again

You can also visit and find your way to the 'Shields Up' feature. Here you can initiate a port scan of your computer, and the results will indicate whether you are at risk. Normally a port will be closed - that is, responding to the scan but informing it that it is closed for business. Better is if the port makes no response at all, because that way the scanner has no information to even confirm if such an IP address even exists, and any decent firewall will do this.

Bear in mind that many port scanners are simply targeting a range of IP numbers in the hope of finding something interesting, and hitting upon your address is probably sheer luck on their part, although if your ports are invisible the scan will pass on to the next potential victim assuming you don't exist, or have turned off.

Regards, Andy.
My pathetic attempts at learning HTML can be laughed at here:

Install "AdAware SE" and "Spybot Search and Destroy", (both free), and run them. Besides finding and eliminating "malware", it runs in the background to block more. You can also use "Spywareguard" and "SpyBlaster" (also both free). They put a lot of known sites in your I.E. security settings to block these "baddies".

Thanks Guys,

I will tell Mr. Sulu to lay a course to the Shields UP website. Mr. Spock thinks, this could be a logical choice to correct any possible problems.

SpyBot, my aging hard drive and Win98 1st Ed. did not get along last time!

I found very few violators and then the system crashed. I tried to restore it and could not get my original screen size back. Had to re-install the entire system.

Thanks for the help!

Mr. Scott, will bring us up to Warp 5 on our way to the Shields Up website.

Thanks again guys!

Kirk out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back