Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

being selective with pages on which header and footer appear

Status
Not open for further replies.

collierd

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
DE
Hello

I am using MS Word 2003 SP2
I have a 15 page document
All these pages have a footer on them and page x of y

I really want to bypass the first page as this is a cover sheet

Basically, page 2 onwards would have the footer and it would run from page 1 of 14 to 14 of 14 skipping the first page

How can I do this?

Thanks

Damian.

Best way that I know of is to put section breaks in so your cover page would be section 1 and the next page would be section 2. You can then set different headers and footers for each section.

Jules

There are three different things involved here.

1. Suppressing the page number on the first page. This is easy. On the Layout tab of the Page Setup dialog, check "different first page". Having done that make sure you add the page numbers in the footer labeled "Footer" (and not the one labeled "First Page Footer".

2. Making the page number start at 1 on page 2. Insert your page number (first item on the left of the Header Footer Toolbar) and then Format it (third button from the left on the toolbar) - in the Format dialog set the page number to start at zero.

3. Making the page count appear as one less than it actually is. This is the trickiest bit. Enter the Number of Pages where you want it (second button from the left on the Header Footer Toolbar). Next press Alt+F9 to show field codes. It will show as:
[tt] { NUMPAGES }[/tt]
Now type before and after it to make:
[tt] =({ NUMPAGES } - 1)[/tt]
Then select the whole string:
[tt] [/tt][highlight black][tt]=({ NUMPAGES } - 1)[/tt][/highlight]
And finally press Ctrl+F9 to get this:
[tt] { =({ NUMPAGES } - 1)}[/tt]

Note that you cannot type the braces - the one set is entered with the first NumPages field, the second via the Ctrl+F9.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

Professional Office Developers Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back