Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Being content with your skillset/career progression 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonafide247

IS-IT--Management
May 28, 2003
US
Just curious on everyone's thoughts...

I often play the comparison game with fellow IT pros, and get very frustrated in the process!

I don't claim to be the smartest, most resourceful, the guru by any stretch of the imagination. I believe my strengths are grounded more in my character, hard work, and pleasent demeanor than in my actual skill set. I catch on pretty quick, and multi task till the cows come home. I think I am very driven, yet I have a desire to have a balanced life (physically, mentally, spiritually...my family, etc)

However, I do struggle with envy on how good/smart/resourceful some of these guys/gals really are. I try to humble myself and learn from them as much as possible.

Can anybody relate to this? Again...I don't want to sound like a petty, envious person. I look forward to your responses.

Returning to the focus of this thread ("Being content with your skillset/career progression"), contentment is a state of mind. It is probably career-limiting decision to be content with our skillset. So, we should always be "students", furthering our knowledge, understanding, and skills relating to our profession.

As far as being content with our career progression...that is a factor of our opportunities and decisions during and after our employment interviews. If we don't like the way our employment is heading, then we have the option to search elsewhere.

Simply being envious of co-workers probably requires an attitude adjustment on our parts since we cannot have a monopoly on opportunities at work unless we are self-employed. <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Dave,

I do agree with your thoughts, for some it's being content with not trying to climb the corporate ladder. It's being content with a job, doing good work, and moving on the next project. Trying not to let an ego get in the way of enjoying life's rich pageant.

Jim C.

I have to agree with Jim C.

My personal meaning for professional contentment:

Working hard, and learning to work smarter. Having a servant's heart and not always looking for what benefits me the most. Being content with an honest day's work, that I've done my best with the knowledge I have obtained and the ability I posess. Not chasing after money or prestige, but a good/honorable name.

You can have your corporate ladder and all its ills. I have found tremoundous satisfaction working for the non-profit that I'm currently employed. There seems to be a different attitude and expectation, with a mission that I can wholeheartedly pursue and believe in.

Something like that at least. :)

When it comes right down to it (regardless of whether we are working for a non-profit or a governmental organisation [at perhaps a salary below what we could command in the open market], or climbing the "corporate ladder"), our fundamental motivation, I believe, is validation. If our work environment makes us feel valid and/or appreciated, then we are typically "happy" in our workplace.

In the case where we are envying the progress of others, compared to our own, then I infer we are not receiving the validation we expect.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I have been working for 50 years and the last job I had which lasted 3 years before the company started laying off people because they were loising money, was the best job I ever had because I was doing what I liked and the Boss thanked me every day for all my help. I was just doing my job and doing the best I could. It's nice to hear a thank you.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Thanks to everyone again for their input.

Strangely enough, I would give similar advice to other people, yet fail to follow through myself!

I will take your words to heart, Gracias!

bonafide,

I understand what you are saying. I also think that there is a difference between healthy competition and actualy envey. It doesn't sound like you're actually envious, more like simply using other people as a gauge.

I think that it is important to be balanced. Whenever I look at these other people and what they are doing, if I look a little deeper, I realize that their lives might not be as full as mine.

One of my closest friends is a web programmer in NYC. He is a freelance worker, and at least according to him, makes much more than I do. He's also an expert in web programming. I do sometimes envy him and his position. He basically runs his own show, sets his own hours, etc.

But then, I have to take a step back and really look at things. He's not married (al though living with his girlfriend), no kids, doesn't own his own home. Works long hours.

Those are things that are important to me, and although I may not be as far advanced as I would like to be, I am happy that I am married, own my home, have two lovely daughters, etc. I value the fact that since I work for government, my work day is 7 hours, with almost no overtime. His isn't, but he values other things.

Bottomline is, I think it's important to compare yourself to the current marketplace, just keep certain things into perspective, such as balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back