Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Being an early adapter of new software

Status
Not open for further replies.

machteld

Programmer
Sep 10, 2003
NL
Hi all!
To start with; I reached this side a while ago, looking for some technical details... on the 'Peregrine Systems Solutions forum', which is not too active (other sides took over, I am often there, sorry;-), but I did stick around because of discussions in fora like this.
So I don't have much 'tek' to add on this site, since the activity is elsewhere, and what I used to be good at is too long ago to be sure of answers, and post them here...

But here's the fun: My company is one of Europe's early adapters of a new tool (a grafical tool 'on top' of Peregrine Service Center, allowing you to do what is called 'controlled tailoring'). Long story, not the issue here.

The software itself is not my problem; I did eveything I could to proove we did not need this tool, the more I digged into it, the more I liked it! Others already wanted it, my remarks made the vendor make another quick version with some specific add-ons for us, so at the end we all got what we wanted, and can't wait to use it.

But he's the problem; my company turns out to be the first using it in Benelux, maybe Europe. The vendor of the software is sponsoring the website we (Service Center admins) discuss all we like and don't.... and the guys helping out at out company (same company as vendor), are also reading this website. Some of the american companies using it, are not active in our discussion forum, so no help from over there....
So I am either PR'ing this tool to others, or have to keep my doubts in personal discussions, or in my mind, sometimes I just ask the guy who invented the tool (lucky me I once got in touch with him discussing some bug)... or have to think 3 times to choose the right words etc...

My questions; Has one of you ever been an early adapter of new software and did not know where to get answers besides from what vendor tells you or your gut feeling did?
Have you ever been on a side where you know people are 'watching' you, following what you say/write because you are in a way a promotor of their software?
And if so, how did you handle that (or *would* if you would get in the situation...)

Are you suggesting that you should not publicise the defects as much as the qualities ?
If so, are you being paid to hype the product ?
I do not want to come across as accusing, but as long as you have direct access to the ear of the developers, you have a unique opportunity.
It is hard to get a quality product nowadays, when buggy software gets sold by the ton. You can outline the problems and have a chance that they get fixed, don't waste it.
I understand that the company wants a good image, who doesn't ? Nevertheless, you'd be doing a disservice not only to yourself, but to the entire future community if you do not lean heavily on the issues now and get them solved before the product goes mainstream and the development effort gets mired in administrative restraints.
We all know that a young product is a dynamic one, where developers are eager to do whatever it takes to please because they are finally getting the appreciation they often feel they lack.
Unfortunately, this bountiful period tapers off when the product moves into its adult life, because of perfectly valid constraints concerning compatibility with previous releases and not shocking the user too much (among other things).
You can make a difference now, don't waste that opportunity because of a vaporous "promotor" status. What you do for the stability and useability of the product - even if that means that you have to tread on someone's toes repeatedly - will bring you the recognition of the community-to-be when they go through the forum and realize that, had it not been for your requirements and repeated complaints, the product would not have been as good.
In the end, respect the truth. That is the only behavior that can possibly be worth anything.

Pascal.

Well, it not that I don't publicise the defects, hm, maybe what I do is tell the company or builder first, instead of the comunity. So far most of it is solved in no time.
They also asked me to help out with beta-testing, which kind of makes me involved with the product in another way then others....
Also, eventhough sometimes I still feel things could be different or better, I know what the programmer is heading to, thinking of, he told me a lot about his plans, but things are not build overnight ofcourse.

The worst part is not being able to check with other users of the tool, to make sure that *if* I say something is wrong or lacking in public, I had a second opinion on it.
What if I am wrong or just overlooked something? Usually you can check with someone on those kinds of issues...

For instance, someone reacted 'oh, it's that VB thingo...blablabla, useless...' Turned out he only saw the product for 5 minutes. It's written in Delphi and much more than a 'thingo', so he obviously has no clue... but still, how many admins reads this and take him for his word? So I had to tell him he was wrong in a polite way...

If there was a community of users knowing the tool, they would have been all over him (or he would never have said that in the first place), now it was up to me only. Ofcourse the makers/resellers read these discussions also, but they keep a (well intended) distance, because they do not want to influence the discussions, them being sponsors of the site is not to give directions to where discussions go... But yes, they keep track of my posts. Mostly because the only one that can tell abuot this tool having it running and working, and will use it in production enviroment, is me (and some usa-guys not willing to share... so far)

So it's not that I am paid to PR it, it just a little piece of software that gives you the feeling 'It's not there yet, but it could become a great tool, it has a lot of potential!' It's kind of like a new, young employer runnnig around your company, banging his head all the time, gets in trouble for his strong and new ideas, but you back him up, because you know eventually he'll be a good one!

Hmm... kind of hard to explain... do this comparison makes sense?

oh, and another thing you said;
"but as long as you have direct access to the ear of the developers, you have a unique opportunity.
"

Yes, that is completey true!! But, since the company is growing sometimes people don't like that I *am* in touch with the programmer... if the tool becomes a succes, there will be no such thing anymore.... so I just got lucky, but have to 'respect' the rules... hard sometimes.

I even had situations like 'Hi, I know I am not supposed to contact you directly, but....' answer 'Well, please tell me now what you found, we'll think of some sort of explanation...'. You know what I mean? He could *never* keep that up if the tools becomes a succes... it would be like Keanu Reeves answering fan-mail;-)

If you adopt new software (including the grafical tool), you should have no problem. UNLESS your company was the beta tester (involuntary).

If you "adapted", then all the best with your customisation.

But seriously, just because version x works and is a market leader, doesn't mean that version x++ is good or stable.

Never be the guinea pig. Try to find out at least one success story in the exact platform and configuration.

End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back