Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Being accussed of being spammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

excoach

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2003
US
Since completeing patching of Groupwise 6.5 (not sure this is reason) we have been being placed in the SPAMHAUS.com database under 'XBL'. There explanation is we have a computer with a virus that is sending out messages.

I have scanned all computer and have not found a virus. Not being an expert we also changed the ip address that the world see from our workstation. We then used a different ip address from the mail server.

I removed the desktop IP from the 'XBL' but the new server IP address the world see is now in the 'XBL'

To make a long story short are there any files in Groupwise that may tell me where these spam could be coming from.

Again I by far not an expert.

Thanks

It could be that you are allowing relaying on the GWIA.
It could also be that one of the workstations has been infected with a mass mailing virus and is sending spam directly to the interent...not going through GroupWise. You would have to watch your firewall to see what's going out to see.

Yeah it may have nothing to do with GroupWise. A good deterrent for this type of Spam (Virus / Worm on workstation) is to block all Port 25 outbound traffic EXCEPT from your GWIA server.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks for your replies.
The problem was we had a consultant in to do upgrades and after the upgrade completed our system was sending our ip address out instead of our domain. This caused SPAMHAUS to view us as a spam site. I changed the GWIA setting "A Record Name" from the IP address to our domain name. This fixed our problem.

Have you been able to quantify your time spent, so that you can invoice the consultant and contra that value off their bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back