Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginning with Paradox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seilsong

Programmer
May 3, 2002
GB
I have been tasked at work with designing a cut down audit records system based on an existing system. The clients want legacy data imported . The exisitng system uses paradox. I must migrate lagacy data to a new SQL server back end.
First, I need to find where the Paradox database is located.
Second, I need to examine its structure so I can build the SQL database.
Third, I must exctract the required data from Paradox to SQL.
Any help locating, examining and extracting will be welcome.
Suggestions of tools software, etc....I will appreciate it all !!

1) The client has to give you some idea where to start, either a web app or a location on their server or the table files themselves. If the files are not currently in use, copy them to your computer for convenience. (Maybe do this anyhow during development, then get an up to date copy when your development is finished.)

2) Open each table file and examine the structure. There's a menu item for this. Info or Structure or something like that.

3) You'll probably need to export your tables to CSV or another format, then write a script of some sort to import it into SQL.

I would actually not do step 3 immediately. I'd generate some test data after step 2, then create the forms and whatnot to manipulate the data and create new. Once development is done, delete all the records from the database, then import the new ones.

Can anyone tell me how to go into an exiting table and delete fields/columns? I just recently changed jobs and find myself, after 6 years, using Paradox again, and I can't remember how to do this simple task!

Nomi I answered this one in the other thread you started about deleting fields.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back