Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginners tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkman

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
US
I'm leading a small lecture series on programming VBA for Excel. I'll be teaching people who are fairly experienced with Excel but have no background in programming. I've been writing out a tutorial from scratch sort of to replace lecture notes.

I'm looking for any suggestions for a begginner's tutorial out there that I could copy from or lecture from to save myself some time of writing one out. Anyone have any suggestions?

-Venkman

First, a little disclaimer, I am NOT an IT professional... that said, I needed to write a program in VBA so I figured I would teach myself how to do it. I am very versed in Excel so I figured it would not be that difficult. Wrong! After many attempts and many books, I have finally done it. I now know that I should have started with a lecture like yours. On that note, I found that the simple "Excel Programming for Dummies" book (by John Walkenbach) was the easiest to read and follow. Although for more in-depth information, sometimes I needed to consult the web or another book. Hope this helps. And good luck with your lecture.

Thanks Hornet. I appreciate your response. However, I'm running on a $0 budget here, so it has to be something I can download from the web. I'll mention the book to my students though. They might be interested in purchasing it.

-Venkman

If you are recommending books, be sure to give this one a plug. I think it is one of the best XL books out there today...

Excel 2000 Developers Handbook - Marion Cottingham
Published by Sybex

I'm sure there are similar books in this series on other versions of XL also.

But, back to your original question. The best thing for you then is to do some internet searches. I'd suggest keywords like:
Excel VBA Tutorial
Excel VBA Beginner
Excel VBA Easy Sample

(I'd suggest
Hope that helps too.

What's the best way to get the answers you need?? See FAQ222-2244 for details!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back