Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginners SCO Unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahiti

Programmer
Oct 11, 2000
PF
SCO UNIX V/386
Version : 3.2
I have pass the unknow login of my computer (four server 486 on SCO UNIX)
1) Where is the first file execute when I boot Unix ?
I think that is the file who mount hard drive ...
2) How Can Know the IP adress of my network card ? Nothing found in sysadmshBruno
3) I have not doc and disk of this computer and soft. where i can found doc of the SCO UNIX ? (First file, config...)
Thanks all for your help
Bruno [sig][/sig]

I had install windows98,then I installed sco unix 5.05.But when I reboot my computer after install,I found I can't boot from sco unix or the other,it print CVL OVF.When I install it,I chose interactive,and chose use rest room to unix.What can I do?
If anybody can tell me how to do?If you can teach me,please E_mail me:xuwei_95811@sina.com.cn.
Thanks a lot!

Try reinstalling using dos with fat 16 in the first partition. Then unix in the second and make it active. Test it for dos/unix and create your emergency boot disk set.. then make your dos active and upgrade to 98 using existing partition.
98 will probably take over boot sector. boot from dos floppy and reset partitions to unix active then boot with EBD and rework the hard drive filesystem.
Haven't tried it with 98 so am not certain that it will work but other dual boot systems require this type of manipulation.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The first files that are executed i'm not sure of but check out /etc/rc.d

The Ip adress can be found under netconfig. tcp/ip.

try out netconfig for finding out the ip address of the sco server - look for the properties of the n/w card configured in the netconfig

i m install sco unix ver 5.05 in my system, but i m facing savral problems to installing sco unix, Please tell right way to install sco unix 5.05 and i really need total commands of sco unix 5.05.

Thanks, i will be much much thankful for u if u do this for me.

Thanks,

Wasim Ahmed

E-mail: wasim80@yahoo.com

How about posting as separate questions in new threads when you have problems. Will make it easier to help.
When the hardware is set up and ready to run you boot off the floppy. It builds a ramdrive containing a minimal system from a CD image, transfers control to the ramdrive, then formats the hard drive and loads the complete system from the CD.
You get to make interactive choices as the setup is proceeding.
Much easier to set the system up if you are using SCSI but it will load and run with IDE. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

All of your SCO whoes can be answered using the tech tip section on the sco.com site.

If you really believe that, I've got some Florida land I'd like to sell you. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back