Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginners learning help with ADO/ASP.Net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patiya

MIS
Nov 24, 2003
US
I am using an MS Access 2k ADP (Converted into ADE) front end and SQL 2K on the backend. Although I taught pretty much myself into these concept with the help of some publications and users group posts, some time I would like to seek some specific help from fellow members. Now my organization wants to move the application into Web based ASP interface.

I am a totally beginner in this area although I am pretty much familiar with ADO and VBA codes. Currently I am using Win XP/2k PC’s for development. My expectations/questions are :

- Is it possible, I can use the existing MS Access 2k front end Forms/Reports/Modules for the Web Interface without starting everything from the scratch in ADO or ASP.Net? I prefer to use the existing one’s while learning the new technologies.

- Is there any book that you recommend that can give me a push start? I would prefer a book that has step-by-step tutorial including a sample application. Also that book can help me with setting up my local PC IIS 5.0/ODBC/Data Interface etc. and Interface with the Server.

- How about the securing the web page and Server Data? Could you please suggest.

As I mentioned earlier, I am totally new to these concepts. Any suggestions or recommendations will be highly appreciated. Thank you fellow members.

One book that may get you started is Access 2002 Developer's Guide Enterprise Edition (Sybex). It is one of the few Access books that discusses Data Access pages at any length. Data Access pages is one option for you. But if you are going to use them, I would suggest moving to Access 2002. Migrating to that version shouldn't be difficult.

The Access 2002 Developer's Guide discusses the different technologies at your disposal for ADP's as well as web oriented designs, such as ASP, DAP's, etc.

ASP.NET would be a steep learning curve, but it's the technology that Microsoft is emphasizing. So if you want to learn, a good book for that is ASP.NET Unleashed.

Omega36,

Thanks for your response. Could you please tell this book ASP.NET Unleashed is published by whom and author? Thanks

Sams is the publisher and Stephen Walther is the author. The only drawback of this book is that the examples are not from the Visual Studio .NET IDE. This book is heavily centered on the use of the various controls at your disposal and less on the language itself.

Another book I have found to be useful is Beginning ASP.NET by WROX Press. They have versions for VB.NET and C#. I like this book because it tends to give you more of a background on the language.

My advice is to go to the bookstore and take a look at these books BEFORE you buy it. There are other books out there that may work better for you. Look for a book that you think you can learn the most from. No one book has all the answers.

Thanks Omega36. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Appreciate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back