Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

beginner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamNeo

Technical User
Jun 26, 2000
IN
I am aware of html dhtml and java scripts can any one tell me how I shoule approch this new language and can any one suggest me some referencd book for this subject

Yo Playa,

I faced the same question a short time ago. What I did was purchase o'reilly's DHTML Definitive Guide. It is a multipart book. I'm almost finished the actual DHTML section and I am ready to script positioning into my pages. My primary goal is to get with it and dump HTML. Exchange data, not rendering giz.

That'll give you the chutzpah to move onto the plethora of sites that have scripts on them. Stay away from the canned scripters like DreamWeaver, and GoLive. Those are for chumps. Actually, I gotta admit that I do use the script editor in GoLive but that requirement is slowly dwindling.

peace,
Dr. Kevorka

There are many nice books on this subject, from XML theory including DTDs (something like languages theory), to its application in StyleSheets (XSL), and to its application in data storage and retrieval (like what SQL Server 2000 does). So you should first categorize your learning curve. Are you an interface desinger? programmer? dba?

I've found Wrox ( books very nice on this issue. They include good samples to learn.

basically ignore Dr. Kevorka who is a prize one chump himself as he did not even come close to answering your original question.

First of all download xmlspy or similar program and follow the tutorials provided. That is probably a good way to start. Secondly, make sure that you really understand what xml is all about and then determine if your really need it. Third, dont believe anyone who tells you that xml is easy, it is not.

PS, I use dreamweaver and I am not a chump.

I can't recommend any books as I'm new to xml, xsl also. However I find quite helpful.

I just wanted to say "OUCH" for the pukiemon strong but agreeable remark!

Mark

Beginning XML 2nd Edition by Wrox Press is an excellent book to start with. Once you get through this book you'll have a much better grasp on the technology and will be able to branch out in the direction you need. Also, get ahold of XMLSpy by Altova. It is the best tool to use when developing most anything involving XML. It will also be very handy when going through the examples in the book.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back