Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

beginner on SCO UNIX V/386

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahiti

Programmer
Oct 11, 2000
PF
Who and where is the file run first where the computer start. the file where the system mount hard drive.
Thanks [sig][/sig]

what version. it makes a difference. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

Assuming a 5.0.x system in multiuser mode. /boot gets you to the boot prompt. /unix or /stand/unix is the kernel. /etc/init.d contains startup scripts. /etc/rc.d has some stuff. and you can find / -name MOUNTFSYS -print for pointers.
This is only a partial list of the stuff invoked on boot and there are other considerations if you have multiple hard drives. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

I am trying to install software from the Cd, I get the following error when I try to mount the CD
&quot;Not Ready reading Scsi Cd-rom....Mount cannot stat '/dev/rcd0' no such dev or address
SCO Unix 5.04 enterprise

How about looking in your /dev to see if you have cdrom hardware identified. Think you will find the device listed as cdrom but that is also version dependent. the error message is informing you that you have no cdrom under that name, or that you haven't created the device. And even though you installed from a cdrom, that device was attached to a ramdrive which has gone away.
would have been better to start a new thread about this problem but we can handle it.

Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back