Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFW11s4 - can ping internet, but cannot connect! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

phemt

Technical User
Nov 18, 2003
US
using a wired lan connection, I can type in the ip address of yahoo, or any other site and get 4 reponses. When I type in "ping or some other site by name, I get no response except "unknown host yahoo.com" . This is happening on my win2K computers only. Does this have something to do with the LMHOST?

Thanks,

William

It has nothing to do with LMHOSTS. It has to do with your ISP DNS servers are not being found.

If you are setting static IPs for your workstations, for the DNS entry just use the IP of the router, usually 192.168.1.1

If you are using DHCP for the workstations, do an Ipconfig /all and examine the DNS entries returned. You can try pinging them to see if they are in fact alive and well.

If you have set manual DNS IP entries in the router's setup, you should consider letting the router pull those entries dynamicly when it connects to your ISP, or at least ensure that the manual entries for DNS servers on your ISP have not changed.

If you are in a Domain setting and the DNS entry points to a local DNS server, the forwarder entries are incorrect or not working.

Thanks Bcastner. Pardon the ignorance in my posts, but I am a rookie here.

When I look at the configuration of the linksys router, the WAN shows an IP address and 2 DNS addresses. Under DHCP, it is checked enabled.

on my 2 Win2K computers, when I check Obtain IP address automatically and check Obtain DNS server address automatically.. the IP address becomes an "autoconfiguration IP Address and starts with 169. It does not show a default gateway address or a DNS server address. Linksys tech support told me that I should make them static by manually inputting the correct info. I would like everything to be automatic.

I only have this problem with my 2 win2k computers. THe win me machines see everything automatically and configure fine. Do you think the 2 win2k machines are in conflict with each other? If possible, please let me know what I'm doing wrong, and give me the steps to correct it. Thanks a million, William

phemt,

phemt..it seems that your win2k computer is not getting an automatic IP...can you set it statically...instead of obtaining an IP and DNs automatically...set the IP as "use the following IP address" and then on the IP address just use 192.168.1.15 and the subnet is auto(255.255.255.0) and then the gateway 192.168.1.1...after that just use the DNs that you have on the router..type in those DNs for the Pref.DNS and alternate DNS...see if that one will work...if not just post again what will happen..
hope that one will help..!!
[ponytails]

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

DHCP errors are tricky. You are absolutely sure there are no cable issues? If these are wireless clients, are you sure there are no WEP issues?

You might at least rule out possible Winsock service stack corruption by running this utility:
You have not installed any new firewall software recently?
You have not installed any new antivirus software recently?
You have not uninstalled Norton Antivirus recently? I ask this because it is a known issue with DHCP:

Let's start with the basics. I apologize but I have no idea what your experience is.
You said - "using a wired lan connection, I can type in the ip address of yahoo, or any other site and get 4 reponses."

Are these REPLY's or timeouts?

You said - "I only have this problem with my 2 win2k computers. THe win me machines see everything automatically and configure fine. Do you think the 2 win2k machines are in conflict with each other? "

When you manually configure them, you are not setting the 2 W2k machines to the same IP address are you? They must be unique and the mask the same. If you Can they ping each other and your gateway address? If all that pings ok refer to the DNS suggestions above.

Also if you are getting a 169.x.x.x address DHCP isn't working. typing > ipconfig /all and posting that would help us help you.

I am having the exact same problems with my win2k machines as well - here is an ipconfig /all dump;
-------<snip>----------
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig /release

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

IP address successfully released for adapter &quot;Local Area Connection&quot;

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : pc-chris3
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : attbi.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : attbi.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapt
er v2.8
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-56-DA-21
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 216.148.227.68
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 02, 2004 1:10:41 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 08, 2004 1:10:41 P
M

Ethernet adapter {24E32C73-8D86-4201-A9A2-1B3E3FC42D6B}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NOC Extranet Access Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>ping 216.148.227.68

Pinging 216.148.227.68 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 216.148.227.68:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
---- <snip> ------

I am using a linksys AP as well -
I know the wireless works properly because I also have an IBM T30 with builtin wifi - it works with the AP without any problems. Gee - wouldn't it be great if Linksys products worked flawlessly with other Linksys products?

When I reenable my PCI Ethernet card (after releasing and disabling the wusb11 unit) - I can see that the DNS IP addrs are exactly the same. Yet when pinging the DNS addresses while on the wusb11 unit - you can see that the DNS addresses time out.

I have not tried &quot;hard coding&quot; all the ip addresses into the TCP tables for the wusb11 yet. Currently it is getting all these addresses automatically.

Any ideas anyone?
thanks

bcastner - tried the repair utility. It looks like it did something but not quite sure. Anyway - no changes to my situation after running the winsocfix util (and rebooting). Thanks anyway -

chriseldardo,

We on Tek-tips do not give up that easily.

See faq608-4650

In particular I want you to use the LSPfix tool linked there, and run the cwshredder, SpyBot, and AdAware tools. The finally post a Hijack This! log back here:

chriseldardo,

We on Tek-tips do not give up that easily.

See faq608-4650

In particular I want you to use the LSPfix tool linked there, and run the cwshredder, SpyBot, and AdAware tools. The finally post a Hijack This! log back here:

bcastner - I really do appreciate you helping me (and anybody else listening to this thread) out.

I followed the sequences listed in FAQ608-4650;
cwshredder
spybot
adaware
lspfix
and ran the winsockfix that you originally sent me again...

still stuck...

Alas - I follow your (and the other thread's) advice and post a Hijack This log hense...

--------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:17:43 PM, on 1/2/2004
Platform: Windows 2000 SP3 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\NS Client\AeXNSClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\NS Client\AeXNSClientTransport.exe
C:\Program Files\Scout\Scout.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
c:\jetsuite\jsdaemon.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrameworkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\vstskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\NICServ.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Timbuktu Pro\tb2launch.exe
C:\WINNT\NetopiaRC\Tb2RCAssist.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\System32\PDesk.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\Promon.exe
C:\Program Files\Timbuktu Pro\tb2logon.exe
C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\DLA\DLATRAY.EXE
C:\WINNT\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\NS Client\AeXSWDUsr.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\jetsuite\DLLCMD32.EXE
C:\jetsuite\JETSTAT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\WUSB11Cfg.exe
c:\jetsuite\JSFMAN.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\DOCUME~1\CHRIS~1.PC-\LOCALS~1\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {2E9CAFF6-30C7-4208-8807-E79D4EC6F806} - C:\Program Files\Submit\submithook.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {f760cb9e-c60f-4a89-890e-fae8b849493e} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0AAF602E-72A1-45FE-BAB1-06971E07EAA2} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Matrox Powerdesk] C:\WINNT\System32\PDesk.exe /Autolaunch
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Promon.exe] Promon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TLogonPath] &quot;C:\Program Files\Timbuktu Pro\tb2logon.exe&quot;
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tweak UI] RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VERITAS DLA] &quot;C:\Program Files\VERITAS Software\DLA\DLATRAY.EXE&quot; /t
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINNT\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\Logitech\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AeXSWDUsr] &quot;C:\Program Files\Altiris\eXpress\NS Client\AeXSWDUsr.exe&quot;
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] &quot;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe&quot; -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] &quot;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe&quot; -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ShStatEXE] &quot;C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\SHSTAT.EXE&quot; /STANDALONE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfeeUpdaterUI] &quot;C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\UpdaterUI.exe&quot; /StartedFromRunKey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CheckAlt] &quot;C:\Program Files\Common Files\CheckService.exe&quot;
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMS Application Launcher] C:\WINNT\ms\sms\Core\Bin\Launch32.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: DllCmd32.lnk = C:\jetsuite\DLLCMD32.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: HP LaserJet 3100 Status.lnk = C:\jetsuite\JETSTAT.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless-B USB Network Adapter Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\WUSB11Cfg.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: RealGuide (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: Start EasyFreeWebCam (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &EasyFreeWebCam (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - O16 - DPF: {C81B5180-AFD1-41A3-97E1-99E8D254DB98} (CSS Web Installer Class) - O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - O16 - DPF: {f760cb9e-c60f-4a89-890e-fae8b849493e} -
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0D8B8AEC-62F6-4F0C-96E3-E63F750C02E1}: Domain = cadence.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{0D8B8AEC-62F6-4F0C-96E3-E63F750C02E1}: Domain = cadence.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{0D8B8AEC-62F6-4F0C-96E3-E63F750C02E1}: Domain = cadence.com

----------------

One note if it made a difference - I recently removed this PC from a corporate Domain (called GLOBAL) in cadence.com. It is now a part of my home-lan workgroup (also called GLOBAL). I am having problems with my corporate laptop (remains in the GLOBAL domain) communicating and sharing resources with the home workgroup - but that is another thread for tek-tips.

thanks - chriseldorado

Have Hijack remove:

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {2E9CAFF6-30C7-4208-8807-E79D4EC6F806} - C:\Program Files\Submit\submithook.dll

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {f760cb9e-c60f-4a89-890e-fae8b849493e} - (no file)

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {0AAF602E-72A1-45FE-BAB1-06971E07EAA2} - (no file)

Possibly legitimate, but curious:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CheckAlt] &quot;C:\Program Files\Common Files\CheckService.exe&quot;

Your last note is revealing. Hijack reports:
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{0D8B8AEC-62F6-4F0C-96E3-E63F750C02E1}: Domain = cadence.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{0D8B8AEC-62F6-4F0C-96E3-E63F750C02E1}: Domain = cadence.com
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{0D8B8AEC-62F6-4F0C-96E3-E63F750C02E1}: Domain = cadence.com

In other words you may have removed the machine physicly from the Domain, but your DNS entries still point to an external DNS server that may not be accessible to you.

right-click My Computer, Properties, Computer Name, and revert the machine to a Workgroup (not a Domain setting).

Set the TCP/IP Properties to &quot;obtain an IP Address automaticly&quot;, and remove any manual DNS entries by hitting Advanced, and looking under the DNS tab.

Then re-run the Winsock repair tool.

hello bcastner -

I'm back. Since I was trying to configure this linksys USB network adapter for a PC I needed to rebuild - I rebuilt the PC with Win2k + all the required updates from Microsoft. So - I have a &quot;virgin&quot; machine and this little gizmo STILL can't &quot;connect to the internet&quot;.

I can see my router - it says it sees all my other PCs on my LAN. So - the network adapter is communicating to the access point. But - for somereason - it can't see any further. On the same PC I do have a network card - a cat5 line plugged in (strung from my office through a few rooms) works fine. I'm begining to think that the AP needs to be updated (firmware).

I am having the exact same problem! still looking to resolve.

chriselderado,

You are appearing to be multi-homed:

Ethernet adapter {24E32C73-8D86-4201-A9A2-1B3E3FC42D6B}:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NOC Extranet Access Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-42-00
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :

Unplug the cable to the ethernet adapter and reboot.

OK - I'm back - and I have things working; I updated my router's firmware to 1.44.2z successfully (with only one computer connected to the router - that was the trick). Then, with no other PC connected to the router (ie I disabled my ethernet card and unplugged it for good measure) - the wireless adapter started working.

I can't tell you if it was the firmware upgrade or simply having no other PC communitating with the router that did the trick...

bcastner - thanks very much for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back