Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFVP41 to BEFVP41 Printer/File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryMc

IS-IT--Management
Apr 29, 2002
CA
I have two BEFVP41 routers (firmware 1.40.4, Nov 21 2002) at two company locations.

The main office used 192.168.155.0 the other office 192.168.156.0 both with a 255.255.255.0 subnet.

I have configured VPN and have a stable connection, NetBIOS broadcast is selected on both.

So now what? I want to share printers and files but can't figure out what to do next.

How about connecting to remote shared resources:

\\remo.te.LAN.IP\remotesharesresource.

You can check available remote resources:

net view \\remo.te.LAN.IP

Hello markku, i am a tad lost here i have my tunnel connected using 2 befvp41's at each location, and my issue now is viewing the sared reasources at each location, i see your information in regards to \\remo.te.LAN.IP but i am not sure what to do with it. I feel like a total loser in not understanding what you are trying to say but hey i thought i might as well ask. Thanks

eopen,

Use My Network Places to browse the remote location for file shares that you want to use. Highlight the share, right-click and Map the drive.

For printers, Start, Printers and Faxes, Add Printer to run the Printer Wizard. You would select a network printer, and Browse the network to locate available printers. Then just click to add the printer.

I have nothing in my network places to browse to. I know how toi map drives but i do not see the remote computer to map to.

Hi eopen,

Your workgroups both sides of the tunnel should match before you can browse the remote LAN.

TerryMc

Are you in a Workgroup or Domain setup? In other words are the computers that you want to connect to this other computer with the printer shared on it in an NT/W2k Domain or just a bunch of machines connected to each other in a Workgroup mode, with no one central Domain server?

Also how is the computers on one side sharing printers/files?

I will follow up with suggestions depedingo on your answer, instead of trying to type both scenarios out.

hope2help

Hope2help,

I'm going to answer your question because I'd like to know the answer myself. If it's a Domain setup, what's the correct way for the people in the remote site to be able to join to domain at the main site? Lets say at the remote site, it's just a bunch of workstations using NAT behind the BEFVP41 router.

Look at the LMHOSTS.SAM and prepare one for yourself with proper info.

Should work now.

LMHOSTS.SAM; is that what it should be names or should it just be LMHOSTS? The reason I'm asking is because I thought the LMHOSTS.SAM was just a sample LMHOSTS files and the correct name for it was just LMHOSTS.

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back