Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSX41 not connecting to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mafkees

MIS
Nov 10, 2003
US
Hi-
I'm Looking for some help on installing my router (Linksys BEFSX41).
Here are the details of my setup:
- running Windows 98SE
- Cable internet service through Comcast
- RCA cable modem (leased through Comcast)
- connecting to PC through USB 2.0 using a 3Com USB Ethernet adapter

I tried installing the router as described in manual,but couldn't connect to the internet. Then I updated the router with latest firmware, cloned the MAC in router set up, followed all directions in the manual...still no luck. LAN Led showing connection between PC and router works fine. However WAN led not constantly lit (lights up for a split second) when trying to connect to internet: no luck!
I also tried using a cross-over cable instead of the straight-through cable that I was using. That didn't help either.

Does anyone have any ideas?

RCA modem takes some time to be able to register itself to the internet. After cloning the mac address(make sure you're cloning the right adapter), turn everything off (pc, router, modem). Wait for a few minutes, then power up the modem. Leave it plugged in for about 5 mins, then power the router back. Wait about a minute or so to let the router recycle itself. After that, start the computer up and you should be up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back