Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSR41 ver2 Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamccor

MIS
Apr 4, 2003
US
I have a BEFSR41 v2 linksys router. It works great here at home with sharing drives and internet connections but when I try to connect from my job,I cant get through. I can ping my router but I cant connect to it or any of my home pc's.I have disabled wan blocking,turned of my xp firewall but still no connection. I called the linksys tech support and after 20 minutes on the phone with the guy he says I need a router with vpn support. Now I would have thought he would have told me that from the get go. Is he right or is he just trying to sell me something??

not sure the issue. assuming you want to connect to the home network using VPN, can you establishing the VPN? if not, what's the error code?

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

The issue I have is whether or not my router is capable of accepting remote connections. I know my router documentation mentions nothing about vpns.My question is do I need it? Im not really sure what vpn does!! Alls I want to do is access my home computer from my work computer..thats all

Hi Jamccor
I believe linksys will tell you it does since your router supports IPsec and pptp pass through. (in advanced tab or security tab.... don't remember)
that's for the good news... the bad news is that I don't think it works! i've upgraded my linksys WRT54G to the latest firmwares forwarded the right ports etc but no can do it just doesn't work with that linksys :-(
I've tried to connect through 2 other non linksys "routers" and it has worked flawlessly...
I guess to you can make your own conclusions.... and hope for a firmware that will fix this. I don't know how linksys' VPN routers perform so I cannot advise you here.
The only way it might work would be to get rid of the router or use it as a swich....

Thanks for the post. I read the post by CNS4us and I will try that.Right now I cannot even remotely open my web interface to my router even though all the settings are correct. Also, I will agree with everyone who says that Linksys tech support are horrible. I have had many conversations with them that led nowhere..almost like they were reading right from the manual...

are you trying to connect from the WAN side or the LAN side?
I suppose its the WAN side... ;-) you must enable "Remote Management" and disable "Block WAN Request" in the advanced --> filter tab and point to your current internet IP ( that should work if this doesn't try dialing up (ie with netzero) and then try connecting to your IP (the broadband one)(unplug your ethernet cable from the router to your PC but leave the router connected to your modem) Also make sure any firewall is disabled... hope this works out for you... maybe the firmware update will help to...

Thanks again..Havent had time to try any suggestions yet but when I do Ill let you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back