Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSR41 ver. 2 AND HOME NETWORK

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfguerra

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
US
First of all, I apologize for what will be a rather lengthy message.

I used to have a LinkSys Etherfast 10/100 5 port workgroup switch, model EZXS55W that I was using as both a network hub for my XP PC and 98 laptop and as a central connection point to my cable modem to access the Internet. The XP and 98 machines are in different parts of our home. Both machines were able to acess the Internet AND share peripherals through the switch.

I recently switched to a BEFSR41 ver 2 Cable/DSL Router through which I connect to the Internet (using Time Warner RoadRunner). I wanted to reconfigure my machines (as part of my 'home network') since I now had this new router and was no longer using the switch.

I ran the XP networking wizard (i.e. "Setup a home or small office network" under My Network Places) on my XP machine. This process created a networking disk that I then used to configure the 98 laptop. The 98 laptop actually found my PC (through 'Network Neighborhood') on the network but was not able to access it (I get an error message saying it cound not find the server xxx, where xxx is the name I gave my desktop PC). I rebooted the laptop and now I can't even see the name of my PC on the network.

The XP PC is another issue. Nothing comes up on the My Network Places even after I rebooted it also.

Both the laptop and the PC have been assigned to the same workgroup name.

My BEFSR41 modem is configured as follows:
Setup
LAN IP address - 191.168.1.1, subnet 255.255.255.0
WAN IP Address - Obtian an IP Address Automatically
Login - Disable, Connect on demand 5 min.

DHCP
DHCP Server - Enabled
Starting IP Address - 192.168.1.100
Number of DHCP Users - 50

Log
Access Log - Disabled

Security
I do not use ZoneAlaram...I use Nortin Internet Security on the XP machine)
Exempt Computers - Disable

The bottom line is that I want to be able to network my XP PC and my 98 laptop.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

I ran all the steps and now my XP machine can see the laptop machine and get files from various folders. However, my laptop (Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222.A) can't find the XP machine in Network Neighborhood.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

It is likely a setting that needs to be made in Norton Internet Security to permit the LAN traffic as being Trusted.

I don't understand why you had to change anything to begin with. The BEFSR41 has a built-in switch with DHCP capabilities which shouldn't have changed much to the PC configuration.

I am curious as to whether the changes you made to the XP PC caused Norton's Internet Security to treat it differently. Have you tried disabling it and rebooting the laptop as a test?

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

I de-activated Norton Internet Security on my XP machine and the 98 laptop is now recognizing the XP machine (I don't have NIS installed on the 98 machine).

So it's working now as long as I disable NIS on he XP machine. Is there anything I can do to NIS to enable it and still allow the 98 machine to recognize the XP machine?

Thanks again! You've all been very helpful!

I have mainly worked with Zonealarm and Mcafee firewalls, but there should be a setting somewhere that allows you to add trusted domains/networks. That's where you want to add the IP address or range of the laptop.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[stpatrick2] [navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Go it! It's working now! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back