Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSR41 V2 VPN Connection Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffIntrins

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
I have a Windows 2000 server configured as a VPN server i can get a client VPN connection over my local LAN but when I go via the Internet using the win 2000 client, it tries to connect and goes to verifying username and password and then i gaet an error saying no response from server.
On the Linksys I have F/W ver 1.45.7 and PPTP Passthru enabled as well as IPSEC pass thru. I have also forwarded port 1723.
I have had this problem for some time now and cannot resolve it. Any help would be Gratefully received.

You have to be sure that your local IP is not in the same subnet as the remote VPN server.

For example, if you are at home and have a subnet range of 192.168.1.x, and are connecting to a remote host behind a NAT router with a subnet of 192.168.1.x, it will fail.

Change your subnet on the home lan to 10.0.0.x, or 192.168.2.x or something different.

I just tried your suggestion, I connected from work (192.168.10.113) to my home win2000 VPN server (192.168.1.107) but I had exactly the same problem. The requests seem to be hitting the server because I have entries in the LOG file but they do not return to the client. Could it be a firmware issue on the Linksys.

Geo, had any luck yet? I am having the same error, and do believe it is due to the firmware.

The GRE 47 protocol is not passing through the router, and as far as I can tell there is no way to change that. The PPTP passthrough setting is supposed to allow the GRE to flow, but it doesnt. I am currently trying other versions of firmware hoping to remedy this.

I will keep you posted.

-Jamieson

Use firmware 1.44.2
ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/

Yeah, I just tried 1.43.3 and it worked fine

Did have to change the Lan IP though

Thanks guys, I had pretty much resigned to changing the router, I will give this a try.

I installed f/w 1.44.2 and I tried to connect from work(192.168.10.113)to home (192.168.1.107) and I get exactly the same error as before. The connection gets to verifying username and password and then fails. I have pptp passthru and ipsec passthru enabled and have forwarded port 1723 to my Windows 2000 server.
Any ideas, i tried 1.43.3 firmware but it said the image was corrupt.

where did u get the 1.43.3? use an external ftp program and connect to the linksys ftp site.

i just downloaded it the other day and had no problem

if you still cannot get it to work, let me know. I had the same problems you are having, and am using the sr41, but finally got mine to work

-Jamieson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back