Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSR41 v2 IS UNHAPPY WITH WWW.FORBES.COM SITE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfguerra

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
US
This is a repost on a problem I have been having but have not been able to seolve.

I have a BEFSR41 v2 EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 10/100 4-Port Switch that connects 4 rooms in my home. My router is connected to a cable modem to access Time Warner's Roadrunner broaband service. It has firmware version 1.44.2 (I had upgraded to 1.45.7 but the speed slowed down noticeably so I went back to 1.44.2).

I have been able to access every web site EXCEPT (with both firmware versions). For those of you who may not know, forbes.com is a website for the magazine Forbes.

First I get a message at the bottom of the browser (I use IE 6) saying "Opening page " Then I get the "The page cannot be displayed" message with the correponding text saying "The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings." (the web site is not having technical since I am still able to access it if I bypass the router).
Also, the very top of the browser says "Cannot find server".

To ensure it wasn't something with the actual cable modem, I tested a direct connection (i.e. from my PC to the cable modem directly) and I WAS able to access forbes.com.

That's why I suspect it's something in the configuration of the router.

I have tried accessing forbes.com from other machines out of my home by directly connecting to the cable modem and they work just fine (as soon as I connect them back through the router, I am not able to access that web site).

I also run Norton Internet Security (NIS). I have disabled it and it still didn't work. I also added to NIS as one of the trusted domains and that didn't work either. Besides, I was able to access the site with NIS enabled when I connected the PC directly to the cable modem.

I changed the MTU size to 1500 and then to 1024 at the suggestion of someone but that didn't work either.

I also tried pinging and its IP address. I got no response back.

Could be coming into some specific port that is blocked by the router? (why they would do this is beyond me but I have run out of ideas).

Any ideas? Has anyone had this kind of problem before (with other web sites)? Thanks!

I haven't heard of anyone having the problems you are. You may want to talk with linksys and/or if there is tech support at forbes.com to see what could be the problem.

Upgrade the firmware on the router, I have seen that create some weird problems.

Let me know of the outcome.

Thanks,

Jon
6help

Definitely upgrade the firmware in your Linksys router as your first step. That problem is strange indeed. If forbes.com was really requiring another port, then it would be unlikely NIS would be letting it through on your PC when you were directly connected to the cable modem. Since that wasn't the case, I doubt it's a port issue.

If the firmware upgrade doesn't help, then try resetting your router to factory default settings. You'll have to re-enter your logon information into the router.

You can also email the site's tech at customerservice@forbes.net

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Nevermind, just saw your other thread about problems with 1.45.7, so the upgrade isn't the answer. I am curious though, did the forbes site work after doing the upgrade (aside from the slowness)?

Not a firmware issue, this is not a secure site deal.

HOSTS file?

I honestly do not know why this is happening, and jonlake's suggestion to call Forbest tech support (or email them from a working site) and ask if there is anything wierd.

I tested on a WRT54G with a wireless connection, and,
BEFSR41 with same level firmware as original poster

and had no problems.

Bcastner:
Thanks for posting that link. However, I am having trouble finding which section is applicable to my problem. Could you let us know which section(s) are relevant? Thanks!

Did you try to emtpy your Internet Explorer CACHE and cookies. Use the ADVANCED tab to "delete all internet tempory file when browser closed" option ? I recommend you try this. I had similar problem in the past with cached website. Also you IE options for SETTING shoud be set to "automatically" refresh pages.

Oh yeah, can you PING ? If so, you got a good end to end connection in spite of your browser.

Bithead9:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I had already tried everything you suggested and it didn't work (I can't get a reply by PINGing the web site). The bottom line is that the problem seems to be with the router itself. Seomthing in the settings (which I can't figure out) keeps blicking that site, even though, I have specificlly told it to accept it. I'm going to try a different router and see what happens. Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back