Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSR41 Router Constantly Dropping Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlayng

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2001
US
On my PC I am Rinning Win XP Professional. I have Comcast cable modem service which has always worked seemlessly (no dropped connection) until I installed a Linksys 4 port router. Since setting up the router I get dropped constantly. Sometimes I will turn on the machine and it will run fine with no connection loss other times it will drop the connection every 2 minutes (literally). I have to release and renew the IP to regain conectivity and sometimes this only lasts for a minute or two. I am set up for DHCP through the cable modem and I have configured the router settings for the same. Under advisement of Linksys tech support I have also set the MTU to 1500 but I am still loosing connectivity. I do run Zone Alarm but I have it set to allow IE full access. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Clone a MAC address. Use the principal PC you used to have connected directly to the modem. The option is under the Advanced Tab.

Note: there was new firmware for this router released last week. But your issue is not a firmware one.

mlayng,

hi...MAC cloning the router's great...but if youll check that one under the MAC ADDRESS CLONING TAB and theres a value already for the USER DEFINED MAC ADDRESS, you dont have to MAC clone it again...

Try to power cycle it...turn off the computer first and then the router and the last one is the modem.......
give at least 1 minute. then turn on the modem first and then give at least 1 minute again and then turn on the router..last is the computer...

btw, what is the modem that you are using?

hope this one will help..........[ponytails]

"imagination is more important than knowledge."

I have tried clonning the Mac address found under ipconfig /all but when I clone it I can't connect at all!! If I disable the MAC cloning then do a release and renew I connect, but with the MAC cloned a release and renew does nothing for me! The drops occur randomly? Last night I had virtually no connection drops at all tonight I am having all kinds of trouble!? (Maybe I am cloning it wrong - I just go to the "Mac Address Clone" Tab and enable it and use the information from Ipconfig /all correct?) Both nights I have only had 1 PC running through the router (My main desktop). I am really getting frustrated with this piece of crap I am running Win XP & have a surfboard modem!!!!

any answer? i have the same problem with dropping connection with comcast cable and terayon cable modem. works fine with hard wire to router but when have 2 or more connect ti drops all connections!!!! WTF? please help!

For terayon modems...I think, there may an ip address conflict with the router.

Try changing the LAN IP address of the router instead of leaving it at default ip of 192.168.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back