Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSR41 Can ping router, but can't configure 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdward

Technical User
Dec 24, 2003
US
I am using a BEFSR41 router to share a DSL connection among several computers, all were working fine yesterday. Today I tried to log in to the web-based interface from a win2k machine and cannot connect. I can ping the router, but I cannot connect to it, or the internet. This computer also gets an IP via DHCP and is shown in the DHCP table on the router. All other PCs work fine and can access the router. File sharing is also working to and from this computer. I uninstalled my TCP/IP protocol and reinstalled it and uninstalled my firewall. I'm not sure what else to do.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ron

So is it only one computer that cannot login and get on the web, or is it all of them? Since you stated you can view the routing table, I'm guessing its just the one... But correct me if I'm not.

Okay, so the PC gets an IP, and you can use File and Print Sharing. However, you cannot use IE properly. Okay,

1. Ping from the 2k machine. If you get 4 responses, then this computer is getting on the web. If this is the case, you have a winsock problem, a damaged browser, or some other program causing an issue (virus or spyware). I'd start with virus and spyware scans. Make sure they are up to date. You can use Spybot,
2. If you cannot ping out, then DNS resolution is failing. Try manually assigning an IP and DNS servers.

Matt J.

try ipconfig/flushdns after that ipconfig/registerdns

Thanks for your help guys, I won't be able to get to this computer for a few days, but I will try the things you suggested and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.
Ron

Ok, I tried all of the things you guys advised. Still nothing. Another piece of information that might be helpful: I am using Remote Administrator 2.1 on the network, and this is the only computer that cannot connect to the others using local ip addresses behind the router. I really appreciate the help. Thanks alot.

Ron

Sorry about the delay in responding, I can't get to that computer everyday. I pasted that shortcut, and it appeared on the desktop, but when I executed it, I got the same thing (nothing) that I get when typing it directly into the address bar.

Thanks,
Ron

I am having the exact same problem. 3 computers on network +
1 PS2. Only the laptop is not gaining access internet from the web browser. I can ping google.com, but at IE "The page cannot be displayed". Very weird!

Any help would be appreciated!

bcastner...thank you so much! I can't believe this actually worked. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back