Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFRSR41 - Can't ping friend with same router on same defualt gateway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryregas

Programmer
Dec 17, 2002
US
A friend and I have cable connections with the same company (ATT) only we can not ping each other. Other friends who don't have routers are able to connect to us but even when I plug the cable modem straight into my computer I still can't see his computer. We are both on the same default gateway. Not sure if that could be the cause but I was told that it shouldn't be an issue.

Another thind I was able to tracert on his but died on the 4th hop. When I pinged the address of the failed hop, I had no trouble pinging it.

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks

Larry

You could both try doing a command to show all of the IP connections:

win98
FROM DOS WINDOW.
winipcfg /all

winxp
Runline cmd
ipconfig /all

Then try pinging each other's Routers. You might have to do some port forwarding or open certain ports to allow a ping to come through. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

To allow the router to return a ping, disable 'block wan request'

Yeah actually I have the Block WAN Address disabled and I have been trying to ping his WAN address but I can not even get a few hops on tracert. He seems to be the only person who I know that I can not connect to and even when not behind the routers we can not see each other either.

Both have the lastest and greatest for the fireware as well.
Not sure what the difference between the routers address and the WAN address - maybe I am looking for the wrong thing.

Thanks

Larry

try to dmz host your computer and see if that will work

Yeah we have both tried the dmz with no luck. I can't even connect to him without the routers as well.

software firewalls might block it too.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Yeah actually both of us have software firewalls - thanks I will look into it.

Yeah we have disabled the firewalls and have come out from behind the routers and we still can not ping. I have brought the issue up to att, but have heard nothing - the only thing I can think of is that we are on the same default gateway - not sure if that is a problem or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back