Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beep when Windows XP Home turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.

denbigh97

Programmer
Dec 26, 2002
US
Lately, when I do shutdown on my Windows XP Home machine, the computer makes a beeping noise. It does it when the screen turns to baby blue and says Windows is saving your settings. The computer turns off fine, and boots up fine too. I'm just trying to find out what's causing this beep. Could it be an error message and Windows is just ignoring it? How do I find out what's making the beep? And how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

Take a look at the event viewer.

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

Have a look in the System and Application sections, are there any errors that relate to the date and time that you are shutting down? If so let us know what they are and we can try and solve the problem for you.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

I looked at the Event Viewer. Seems like it's MrxSmb that's been causing the beeping. How do I fix it?

The beep that I was getting is the kind when you get a popup error dialogue box.

Are there any errors or conflicts shown in your Device Manager?

Have you seen if you still get this beep when shutting down from Safe Mode?

Obviously this has just started happening but can you tie it in with any alterations you have made to your system?

Do try "Bcastner's" link to the update

I believe it started the beep after I installed a Logitech Quickcam. If I stop all Logitech related tasks in the Task Manager, then the beep goes away when I turn off the computer. There are no conflicts within my device manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back