Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beep on MESSAGEBOX()

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunc0029

Programmer
Jan 9, 2003
US
One of our users is getting the annoying "BEEP" when a messagebox is displayed, dispite having turned her sound to MUTE! I even tried setting all of her notification sounds to (none) and still get the beep. Any idea what would override the mute? When I mute my computer, I don't get the beep.

Could try tweakui and unticking the beep on errors box on the general tab -
Presumably its the little PC speaker that's beeping - if you open volume control then Options, properties, you can add PC speaker to the control list, and then mute it (mine is by default) - don't know if this would stop it.

I tried using Tweak UI on my PC, and it didn't stop the beep when my volume was not muted, so I'm thinking it won't help if she gets it when it IS muted?

It is the PC Speaker that's beeping. This behavior just started happening today. I haven't the vaguest idea what would have changed overnight.

Jason

Open case, find PC speaker connectors on the mobo and pull the cable away from them then close the case. When you have proper external speakers the PC speaker is useless.

Alternatively . . . ear plugs!

I sympathize, I once had the same annoyance on an NT4 work machine. The speaker beep seems to be enabled by default if you don't have a sound card.

You can change this in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound
Value Name: Beep
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: "yes" or "no" (its a text string)

just change that value to "no" and it should be fixed.

Look in Device Manager, System Devices, PC Speaker, and disable it.

You do not want to mess with the default "Beep" sound, as it often has the unintended consequence of disabling all system sounds. This is a known problem with TweakUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back