Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beep at start of SIP Calls on IP Handsets

Daniel_RO

Technical User
Sep 29, 2020
AU
Hey Guys,

Random one that has reared its ugly head for me to play with.

Customer has SV9100, CP20, with DT800 IP phones. Randomly, on incoming calls, staff will answer, and at the start of the call they will hear a beep which can block the customers voice etc from being heard, so it is upsetting the customers.

Has anyone else come across this?

It is not something I have been able to replicate, but customer swears black and blue its happening. Multiple users have multiple reports. But we have tried to capture it in RTP Streams on Packet Captures etc, but still are unable to. Even NEC TAC is stumped as to what it could be

Look in the user settings and find RTP Alarm and turn it off.

Menu button
Settings
I think call settings. I don't have a phone to look at now

Thanks for the tip @DoubleDriveLine, when I got back to my office, I setup an IP phone against my dummy system and found the setting you were talking about in:

Press the 'Menu' button near the directional pad in the bottom right of the phone
Go to 'Setting'
Go to 'User Setting'
Go to 'Talk'
Go to 'RTP Alarm'
Set this to 'Disable'

Have asked customer to do this, and monitor the situation to see if its resolved.

What that means is the phone is seeing lost RTP packets. I have seen sites have this issue where the beeping was there but to the individuals the audio was fine. If they now don't have the beeping but the audio is choppy then there is some type of network issue affecting the RTP packets.

Changed the RTP Alarm, and unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue. But thanks for the idea as it is something we hadnt tried before. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back