Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Becoming a MS: SQL Server or Oracle DBA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorajc

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
Not sure where I should post this. I figured I would try here first and then post it in each forum.

Anyway, I have been working as a Computer Tech for about 1 year now and though the money is not great. I love who I work for and the position. Even though my official postion is a tech, I got to do a lot of Web developing, Database admin, networking, etc.

Having gotten a chance to experience a lot of different areas of IT. I have narrowed down the areas I would like to work in. Programing is fun and I love the challenge but I can't see myself doing it 8+ hours a day. What I have come to love is working with DBs so I think I really want to pursue becoming a DBA.

At work we use a combonation of Oracle and SQL Server DBs. So getting experince with either is not a problem. What I want to know is which one will be in higher demand in the years to come and if possible can someone shed some light as to what it is like being a DBA.

In my opinion there is not a lot to choose between them. Oracle is slightly more robust, has a bigger market share at the moment and is prefered by bigger companies. On the downside, it is more expensive than SQL Server which means that small- and medium-sized companies tend to go for SQL server. Haven't worked as a DBA but they basically have responsibility for making sure DB developers don't screw up the DB(making sure scripts are tested, running them), performance tuning, organizing the DB.i.e. fragmentation et al, data recovery, etc. Can be fun if that's what you like. All the best, whatever you decide to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back