Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE9.1 Win2003 + shadow copy of event logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrGryphon

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
AU
I am receiving the following error in my backup logs. Veritas knowledgebase says that it can happen if the event logs on 2003 have been relocated to another volume, but this is not the case for us.

Hotfix 11 also appears to fix something similar, and this was included in SP1 which appears to have been installed already.

Does anyone else know of any other reasons?

------------------------------------------
A failure occurred reading an object.

WARNING: "Shadow?Copy?Components\System?Service\Event Logs\Event Logs" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt
---------------------------------------------

The original Citrix Guru...

I notice that the event logs are also backed up at the filesystem level as part of the system state... is this okay to do? Veritas don't seem to have a "best practices" type of document for this kind of thing.

As a matter of fact, I'm fairly unimpressed with their lack of accessible information all-round.

I have just noticed that exactly the same error is occurring on another Windows 2003 server so this must be a fairly common thing...

I'm getting closer to a solution... On the four servers that are failing sophos AV has linked its own .evt file in (it happens to be on a different volume but I don't know if it matters).

So now I just have to find out if the .evt file has to be in the same location as the system event logs, or if Backup Exec just hates it altogether.

DrGryphon,

How did you correct this problem?

I have been receiving this exact error.

Thanks, in advance, for your response.

Nope, no proper resolution. I also posted in the Veritas support forums and for more than 6 months now the list of people with the problem has been growing.

In the end I realised that event logs were being backed up by our MOM server, so I deselected them in the Backup Exec backup job. Error went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back