Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE8.6 > BE9 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meldrew

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
GB
Hello

I have been running a tial version of 8.6 on a Dell Powervault 136T with
4 LTO drives and it has been very satisfatory.

Having decided to buy from Dell their Backup exec suite (which I am led to
believe is version 9), I decided to upgrade my trial version to version 9
first.

This went OK with the upgrade but now, although I can see all the previous
jobs , etc, I have problems in completing even one job ..

I have a job which uses 3 tapes and I have the job pointing at the allocated
partiton in the library.
The first tape goes fine and then I get the following message when it tries
to load the second tape ...

Media '<Unknown>' is overwrite protected.

The media in drive 'HOG 4' is currently allocated and is not available for
overwrite operations.

I have tried erasing the tapes, replacing them with new ones , cleaning the
drive etc etc and still can't get past this error

I have had no problem at all with multi tape jobs in the past and am worried
about the new software I have purchased.

Any help will be very welcome.

Review the tape(s) in question and verify what BE 9 sees as its overwrite and append period. If those periods are causing the issue then you can move those tapes to a different media set that contains the overwrite and append periods you want.

Here's what I got from Veritas support. Each job under the Job Setup tab needs to be setup with the selection for 'Overwrite media' under the 'When this job begins' area. As I'm told, this will ensure that the job uses the scratch media or possibly even any set that isn't the set that the tapes are moved to after they've been written to using BE9(the default set is 'Media Set 1'). I'm currently testing this to find out if it holds true.

I had also tried to run erase (quick and long) on the tapes as well as moving it between media sets (namely moving everything to the 'Scratch Media' set). The standard media set that media are imported to is 'Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media' when you run the inventory. I'm hoping that the tapes can just be left in that media set without having to add an extra step to move them to scratch media.

As a note, all my tapes are from jobs that were previously set up on BE 8.6 so I also wasn't sure whether that was an issue.

As a final step, the tech also had me right click 'Media Set 1' under 'Media Sets' on the Media tab and choose properties. From the properties of 'Media Set 1', she had me change the 'Overwrite protection period:' from 'Infinite - Don't allow overwrite' to '0 Hours'.

If you haven't already found the answer, I hope this helps.

Note: I'm still working out the bugs but it appears the aspect that requires the most attention is the 'Media Sets' branch of the 'Media' tab. As I've mentioned, the default media set is 'Media Set 1'. If you right-click this and choose properties, you have the option to change the 'Media set periods'. This includes the 'Overwrite protection period:' and the 'Append period:'.

I've currently setup the overwrite period for two weeks to coincide with the backup schedule that's been in place here rather than the standard GFS rotation. I believe that as long as the 'Overwrite protection period:' is set to something other than 'Infinite - Don't allow overwrite' to anything else, it should work. Other factors would include the 'Device and Media' configuration of each job under the 'Job Setup' tab and possibly the location of the media under the 'Media' tab (i.e. 'Scratch Media', 'Backup Exec and Windows NT Backup Media' under 'Imported Media', etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back