Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE7.3 on NTserver - i/o device error during verify

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardp

Technical User
May 3, 2001
US
hi, my error is:
storage device Sony0 (sdt-9000 4mm dat) reported an error on a request to write data to media.
error reported: the request could not be performed because of an i/o device error.

i tried the regedit in thread481-60576 <-this thread, and i'm failing faster now.
about every 10 days i get a good backup. it always fails during the verify process...
could it be the scsi speed is set too fast? i work in a hosting place, and this is a vital box i can't even take down to check the scsi speed - but i will!
i was looking up help associated w/ sony (the worst support EVER - not just storage, but vaio support sux too, avoid sony computers/equipment!!!!!!!!) sorry to rant....
but the sony documentation lists all 3rd party backup vendors, but makes no note of Veritas at all, and they are so proprietary i thought mabey there was a problem there, but half our servers have sony drives running various versions of be, 7.3 or 8.5 mostly and some are fine..
any help would be great, i've been searching this site for weeks and finally decided to post.

still no ideas? i'm at a loss... been trying to restore a file all morning, from a supposedly good backup, but now i'm getting device i/o error again. i even rebooted the server (which usually solves it for a couple days).

might be worth checking out that the SCSI ID on the DAT drive is not the same as anything else, SCSI cable terminated properly? loose cable perhaps? all these worth taking a look at first

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back