Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE Version 9.0 uses multiple tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

flo2980

ISP
Mar 9, 2003
US
Does anyone know why a 20 gig backup that is being backed up on a 24 gig tape suddenly start using 2 tapes? The tape go to 15 gigs and asked for another tape. Backup worked fine until last night. It is an HP Datastore scsi drive with 24 gig 4mm tapes. I might add it backs up everything except now it has to have two tapes. (?)

Thanks to all for your help!

BE adds header information (data about what is on the tape so it can restore properly). So that might be taking up enough room that BE needs a second tape. Also, I believe BE can only estimate how much it is backing up, so as it nears the end of the tape it requires a new one.

Are you using Verification? That takes up extra tape space.

Go to the media tab, select the tape and select properties. How much of the tape is actually used up?

-SQLBill

No verify in the setup. It backed up a little over 15 gigs on the tape before asking for the new one.

I might add that this is a main controller on the network and is replicating data with 2 other servers. Even so, there were some good back ups before this happened that all ran on one tape. The drives on the server have not grown any other than a few MB either way........

How much is being written to the second tape? Is it a substantial amount or just a couple of megs?

It wrote about 4 gigs to the next tape.......

In Backup Exec if you navigate to where the tape is listed, right click on it and select properties. Click on the Statistics tab. Does it have a lot of errors? Someone told me that the more errors there are on the tape, the more parts of the tape it skips over. So gradually the capacity of your tape will reduce over time. Not sure how to fix this, maybe a full erase of the entire tape?

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back