Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE running Very Slow when backing up Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadbrooks

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
US
BE 8.6 runs 40-80 mbm when backing up everything but exchange 5.5 mailboxes. When it hits the mailboxes it slows to 1-2 mbm and takes 30 hours to get threw it. Any ideas?

Do you have Norton Anti-Virus' real time protection enabled on the BE server? If so try disabling that. Also make sure your Network Adapter settings are set to 100Mbps/Full Duplex. Also try changing your "Receive Buffer Size" in the Advanced tab of your Network Adapter properties to 225.

Is this the first time you run "brick level" backup?

"brick level" or mailbox backups are very very slow. Basicly you are backking up mail item by mail item using a IMAP client.
Adding a antivirus program on top of this just makes it even more slow.

I don't know of any installations who use a total "brick level" backup except in very small shops.
It just takes too long.
Our normal exchange backup runs at 8,5 MB/s but we only tried "brick level" for some "fun testing" some years ago.

I didn't set this up it is a client of ours. I havn't used backup exec very much at all. Is there a better way to backup the exchange IS with backup exec?

They do have etrust virus scan running ( made some changes to that yesturday waiting for results)

The Exchange machine is the same machine Backup exec is running on. So NIC card not really an issue.

In order to automatically stop the anti-virus services before the backup in question and automatically restart the services again after the backup is complete, you should probably try to use BE's Pre and Post Commands feature. It uses predefined .BAT or .CMD files in order to commit an action before and after a backup takes place. Details on usage are located in the following Technote:

What you need to put into the command or batch files in order to Stop/Start services is as follows.

Net Stop "Service Name"
Net Start "Service Name"

I hope this helps.
-J

When you define the job you should get 3 options under exchange on the server.
Information store
Data store
Mailboxes

Names can be wrong but check everything else but the mailboxes and you will have a full backup of exchange.
But remember you can only make "single item" restore from a "brick level" backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back