Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE is trying to backup non-exist mailboxes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

felixx

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2006
US
My boss apparently deleted a couple of his mailboxes (intentionally) and BE came at me with an error over the weekend with a failed update. I went in and unchecked the mailboxes *IN* BE in hopes to rid of the error.

I had a look in my Exchange server and the mailboxes are in fact not there, so my question is, why didn't BE 9.1 make the adjustment automatically?

Why are you backing up individual mailboxes and not just the entire IS?

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

I guess you are doing a mailbox level backup. The issue you are seeing is caused by the fact that when you delete a user & mailbox they don't go anywhere until they are purged either by an set period of time going by or if you run a mailbox clean up.

Right click - all tasks - and its either purge or run lean up I forget which and then all you will see the offending items and all you need to do is the the good old delete button.

Iain

why back up the whole thing? ive only got about 15 mailboxes being used and I dont see a need to back up ones that arent being used i guess.

Both an IS level store and a mail box (brick) level backup have their uses.

The IS level store is primarily for disaster recovery purposes, as it is essentially a backup of the mail database, as a whole. It gets restored as a whole as well.

The brick level backup allows you to restore individual meesages back into a production information store.

i kinda wish I had a job where this was mostly what I do. I just finished re-scheduling and creating all new jobs for this network.

I havent done a clean up yet, thats on my list though :)

dk thanks for the advice, it makes sense why I should back it up as a whole, im going to do that now. Because also I noticed that if any subfolders or files get removed, it doesnt cause issues.

cheers

Bricklevel backups aren't really necessary as long as you set your deleted items retention period appropriately. By backing up the entire IS you can recover your Exchange server from a disaster and avoid the issues with bricklevel backups. By setting your deleted items retention to an appropriate level for your organization, then you can allow your users to recover that which they have lost and not involve you at all.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.
The poster formerly known as lander215

today i came in to check on a failed backup on the mailserver. after I made a change to backup the whole IS I still got an error. This time there were 5 email boxes. Ive been looking in micro$ofts KB for a way to remove the boxes but im not sure the safest way.

Spirit your attempt to give me tips on how to do that were appreciated but I was unable to follow them properly, any clarification with detail would be cool. thanks

Go into
Exchange System Mger - Admin Groups - FirstAdmin Group - Servers - ServerName - FirstStorGroup - Mailbox store - Mailboxes

Right Click Mailboxes and select Run Clean Up Agent. You will then see the deleted mailboxes right right each one and purge them.

You cannot back these up because they have no Primary Domain account basically.

Can you post the error, they might have "corrupt" messages in them and that might be the issue. When I say "corrupt" I mean they have japanese text in the subject line, veritas gets confused and says the backup job fails. The Solution? Believe it or not its to change the registry to stop this being reported as a failure..... veritas support at its best!

Iain

if you mean my BE 9.1 error, here it is

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 8:12:34 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000fe09 - The directory is invalid.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup - \\MAILSERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?user1 [user1] and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?user2 [user2] and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?user3 [user3] and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?user4 [user4] and its subdirectories.
Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?user5 [user5] and its subdirectories.

Done! For future reference, I am using Exchange 6.5 and this is how I got to the mailboxes in the manager

Click on the Servers folder
Click on your Server name
Click on "First Storage Group"
Click on "Mailbox Store"
Then Right Click on "Mailboxes"

I didnt have to run cleanup because I could see the deleted boxes but ran it anyway to be sure. I right clicked on them and selected "purge" and they went away.

After that I went into BE and had a look at the backup job in question. Sure enough they were gone and I can now select the IS as a whole.

I look forward to the text msg on my phone tonight saying the backup was successful.

Thank you VERY much sir. Its all pretty clear to me now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back