Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 9 setup will not run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigas

Instructor
Jun 25, 2003
AU
Hi All,

New here so sorry if this has been asked recently, I looked but couldn't find it.......

I am trying to evaluate BE 9 for a client, downloaded the latest from their website today. when I try to install, either from the "browser" or by running setup directly I see the screen flicker for a moment as if a window is opening, then nothing happens :-(

I have tried on 2 different systems with the same effect, both systems have MDAC 2.7 sp1 as required. One has BE 8.6 installed, the other does not.

If I try to run the MSI package I get a message saying BE cannot be installed that way.........

No clues in the event viewer, does BE put a logfile somewhere?

Machines are win2k servers, (domain controllers) SP3, one has exchange 2000.

I have the luxury of a good test envioronment, these are not production machines :)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

I am sure you have tried this, but how long did you let it run? When I upgraded to 9.0 I would execute the .exe and it too a minute or longer for the setup screen to run. Have you looked in the prcesses to see if it was running?

Gigas: Look in the root of your winnt directory > bkupinst.log >> search for "Return Value 3" this indicats a critical error >> see if you can match that error up with a tech doc. on their support site or, read the last few lines of what it is doing ie. :
does it seem to have issues trying to install the msde 2000 Databases used with 9.0, if it is, install MSDE 2000 from microsoft site, (if this also doesnt install its not going to help you calling Veritas, you would need to find out yourself) > then BE should pick up that you have MSDE already running and will ask you if you want to install its DB within the exisiting instance > accept it > should install OK.

If you are trying to install 9.0 rev. 4367 (check cd for cd.txt), dont bother > install their latest revision for 9.0 (rev 4454) available on
Let me know how you get on
Dog

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies,

FVRS7189: I have let it run for 2 hours with no result.

Dogmata: I have build 4454, downloaded two days ago.

bkupinst.log =>

VERITAS Backup Exec (TM) 9.0 for Windows Servers Installation Log

Start time: 06-26-2003,15:42:50

No help there..... it does NOTHING....Just a quick flicker of the screen and that's it, all over.

BE 8.6 will install fine, I thought I might be able to trick it by upgrading but no such luck, same result.

I thought I hated Arc serve but now I'm changing my tune :(

At least build 4365 will install!! trouble is it then claims to run out of disk space (12gigs free) and rolls back the installation.

AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna get medievil on its ar*e soon B-(

</rant>

Cheers

GIGAS:

- damn, no clues huh ok, heres what I would try assuming you cant just install it on another server (perhaps a good test to run > if it installs OK > its something specific to that server)

Download ExecView and install just the MSDE engine, i cant rememeber the command line you use but I think its posted on Veritas website somewhere > if it doesnt install I believe it creates a log called msde.log > might be a clue or two on there

stop any non-essential 3rd party services ie. virus scanners

check that the system account has f/control over the source, target directories, the temp directory and the installer directory (winnt\installer)

If you have another instance of SQL running on there > stop services if you can.

You want to then clear the file system of any veritas/backup exec directories and files and also check:

HKLM\software\ >> remove the veritas directory if applicable
- HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services > remove any &quot;backupexec....&quot; hives
>> chances are there may well be next to nothing installed, but also just scan the registry for any other veritas/backup exec hives

>> as always, export your registry of use NTbackup and back the system state up to tape or dump it to disk (just like you would for SQL for example)

>> give that a go but might be easier to install it elsewhere

>> dont forget to check the event viewers for any errors > usually there are a few clues in there

>> you might also try unregistering and reregistering MSI, command escapes me at the moment but its something like msiexec /unreg >> msiexec /regserver (DOS prompt wont show a lot)

Cheers
Dog

Did you ever resolve this? I too am having terrible trouble getting v9 to load on W2000, Exchange 5.5 and SQL7. I finally it to install but the server is in a terrible state with the event log full of errors and and problems getting programs which have been stable like pcAnywhere 10.5 to work.

Don't install Backup Exec on any server running anything SQL related. It uses a cheap SQL agent called MSDE that causes conflicts.

Matt J.

In attempting to reinstall BE 9.0 Rev 4454 in order to resolve another problem and now I am experiencing this error also. I have removed all traces of BE 9.0 per Veritas' &quot;manual uninstall&quot; procedure to know avail. Has anyone figured out a fix for this problem? I have yet to hear back from Veritas and I placed a call over a month ago.

Sorry mate..... I gave up, my client is still using ArcServe which I HATE with a passion.

Good Luck, you're gunna need it :).

mattjurado - MSDE is not a &quot;cheap&quot; SQL agent, it is in fact a cut down version of SQL 2000, with limits - like you can only have a databases grow to 2gb.

gigas, check to make sure the Windows Installer service can be started manually, if it can't, it is best to download it from MS website and install again.

If you install any other software does it do the same thing?

Try downloading BE again, I know it's huge, but there may have been a problem with the download which is not easily evident.

let us know how you go.

Sorry, I thought &quot;cheap&quot; implied it is not as functional as regular SQL...

Matt J.

I'm running BE V9.0 on a server that also has SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition. Haven't had any problems with either BE or SQL Server.

-SQLBill

Is it possible that the download of 9.0 is corrupt? I ran into this not long ago on another piece of software. I ended up downloading from home and it worked fine.

I've downloaded rev 4454 three times on from three different networks and still the same result...a quick flick of the screen and then nothing. I'm starting to seriously explore another backup solution for my clients besides Veritas Backup Exec.

I just downloaded all 384Mb of BE9(4454) today and will install it tomorrow as well. Will let everyone know how it goes... am worried now after reading these posts. I think I'll build a test server first to install on as BE is on my main Exchange2K server at the moment.

Btw, MSDE is a scaled down, redistributable version of the SQL Server 2000 database engine that's an alternative to Jet. Works well, but also makes you vulnerable to SQL-based worms like the SQL Slammer earlier this year. Beware of not only your SQL Servers, but those running MSDE as well.

Hope someone finds an answer to this soon... will post my findings tomorrow.

GuardGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back