Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 9.1(W2k3) - AOFO problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speridal

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
DE
Hi,

I try to backup a remote windows 2000 (SP4) fileserver which is attached to a compaq ra4100 storage. When I setup the aofo to backup all drives, backup exec stores the aofo - file for drive c on drive c, for drive d on drive d and so on.
I'd like to backup all drives but don't like backup exec to create an aofo file on drive c. what can i do? If I configure the aofo, I can choose which drive to take but according to the knowedgebase of veritas, I cannot use drive D: for example if drive D ist backed up with the same job. Am I right?

Thx in advance.

Greets,
Speridal

Speridal

No way around it, there will always be a cache file on the drive it is trying to backup..

But when I only backup drive C: for example and configure OFO to store the file on drive D: then there is no file on drive C:.

Or am I wrong?

sperdial
I think and say think, it still creates it on C: as well, but you may want to test just to make sure.

As long as you have upgraded the AOFO on the remote agent to 9.1 also, you can specify the drive you want to use and it will use this for all volumes, but you may have to enable a registry setting, I'm not sure

This was a change in 9.1, but if you have 9.1 on the media server, and 9.0 agent on the remote machine, then it only work the way you saw before.

That registry setting allows single snaps instead of doing all at once. I'm not sure if that HAS to be enabled for the folder to be used. It may work now regardless of whether single snaps are used or not.

I have a C: D: E: and F: I specified that I wanted AOFO to use D:\aofo and enabled the single snap. I created a test backup of some files from each volume and watched it create the cache file on D:\AOFO for every volume I backed up.

I'll see if I can find the registry setting again and post it.

Speridal

Don't know exactly where it is, but the key is called DoSingleSnap - it would be located under HKLM\Software\Veritas

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\Open File Option\Config\EnableSingleVolumeSnap - Change it to 1 and cycle service

Thanks for the reg key. I'll try it on monday.

Sorry, I have not been on lately.

That key that steve gave is the wrong one, it is really for debug. It leaves all cache files on the server. Honest mistake.

The correct key is

HKLM\Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\Backup\DoSingleVolumeSnap

Sorry I didnt get back sooner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back